Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any train people?

Re: Any train people?

The only "train" museum I ran across in my travels was in Pennsylvania, if I remember right (and now I don't remember the town even). I had an uncle who died of a sudden, unexpected heart attack in 1943 (I was 3 years old), and I eventually inherited his gold Hamilton watch, his wallet with some interesting documents such as employee pay scales, etc. and I've thought of trying to sell, donate, or loan them to a railroad museum if I ever find one I'd want to have them. My uncle's title was "Chief Clerk to the Superintendent for All Lines; Baltimore and Ohio Railroad". He lived, and is buried, in Baltimore.

<font color="red"> Whoo whoooooo!
    </font color>

I think that says it all, Pat. Something about a train, and I don't know what that is, that brings us back to childhood. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My story starts with my stepfather. He was a big train fan, and a collector of old toy trains. My love of trains came early. I can remember my visit to Steam town, in the early 70's when I was a kid. Hoping the crossing gates are down, wile driving down that side street, And just watching any train that happands to be around. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Bird, Yet another point of commonality. I recall the B&amp;O from my time in Lima. THere was a Lima Baldwin Hamilton Locomotive works whose name says it all.

Unfortunately timing hasn't matched interest and I have only made two train trips and just one of those that I recall, the one on the Mexican border at the RR museum south of san Diego. My first train trip was in the later days of WW II when my mom was "smuggled on board" by some soldiers. It seems that seat access was prioritized, men in uniform first and the conductors were screening everyone, having a ticket wasn't enough.

A group of soldiers noticed my mom standing there with a todler at her side and a babe in arms (me) and said come on lady you're my buddy's wife. I'm told that I spent the best part of the trip being held by various soldiers and sleeping in their laps to give my mom a break and some time for my sister. She said a couple of them were down in the isle on there hands and knees helping me play with a wind up car. My mom says she thinks I was a symbol standing for all their kids, little brothers, and what they were on their way to fight for.

Too bad I can't remember it because it was a steam locomotive (I love 'em) and the museum ride was just a diesel electric. I hope to have time for some train rides after this house is finished.

There is a steam engine in operation out at Glacier National Park and I hope to ride that one day.

Oh by the way, I had an uncle in Mississippi who worked for the RR for decades but I wasn't in line for his RR watch. About RR watches... My dad told me that he had once asked a conductor if the train would be on time and the conductor pulled out his watch, cocked his head to listen to the trains progress from rail section to rail section and said they'd probably be a bit early as they were making real good speed. Seems they knew how many rail sections/min equated to what speed.

Board.... ALL A_B_O_A_R_D!

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Paul, If steam locomotives were not enough, when my dad was a lad, some of the local farmers had steam tractors that had external pulley wheels to drive wide leather belts (primitive PTO) to operate threshers and such while the tractors were standing still. And yes, I'm told, they had steam whistles!

Hmmm, I wonder what it would take to retrofit my Kubota...

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Yet another point of commonality

[/ QUOTE ]

So much so as to be almost spooky. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

My Dad, an Oklahoma farm boy, took a job with the Social Security Administration in the early '40s. And my mother has told lots of stories of riding the trains back and forth from Ardmore and Oklahoma City to Baltimore (had to change in Chicago). Dad went up first, got an apartment, then Mother followed with me when I was just a baby. Then she and I went back to Oklahoma later where my first sister was born, and then back to Baltimore when I was almost two years old and my sister was a baby. Mother (whom we're getting ready to go visit in the nursing home for her 82nd birthday party today) says people used to ask if it wasn't awfully hard trips with babies and she says it was actually very easy trips because the trains were always full of soldiers who played with and entertained the babies all the way.

But the only train trip I can remember was in '65 when my wife and I had only been married about 6 months. We drove a car from Dallas to Denver for her aunt and uncle, then rode the train back to Dallas (about a 24 hour trip).

Pat :
    There is a Steam Locomotive operating out of Stettler, Alberta that does about a 100 or so kilometer round trip with passenger cars and tourists during summer mounths.

I beleive there is also one that makes a trip through the Rockies with overnight hotel stops for the passenger.

Trains and the Alaska Marine Highway would be my two choices for quality travel.

Egon

I'm starting a grand scale railroad in East Michigan if anyone wants to join in.

mikell

I got a freight line at the bottom of our hill; goes by about twice a day moving slurry from the local talc mine.

I have about $100 in crushed quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies to my collection.

r-y

Love trains. I don't know exactly what the appeal is, but they've always been interesting and fun for me.

There is a great railroad museum in Old Town Sacramento here in California. I like to make sure I go there at least once a year. They also usually run a steam engine and some old cars a few miles up and down the tracks - pretty fun.

My mom lives about a six hour drive south of me, which is a really dismal drive. We took the train down for our last visit and it was great, especially for my daughter (who could draw and play instead of being stuck in a car seat).

One of these days I'll build another model railroad. They're a lot of fun, too...

Thanks for the post! Gives me another thing to add to my really short list of things to do [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ....Chris