Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Any train people?

Re: Any train people?

Chris, I can understand the origins of our deap seated feelings for siting around a fire and the pleasure of eating meat cooked over an open fire, these have been bred into the human race over many thousands of years. Trains...?? Trains haven't been around long enough to have been implanted in out psyche through Darwinian processes so the only reasonable explanation for their magical attraction (especially steam trains) is... well... MAGIC.

It defies logic and common sense and likely isn't trully a religious issue so what is left? MAGIC!

I used to sit on the floor of my attic bedroom, under the old table where my Lionel electric train was set up to listen to it run the rails and go clickity clack because it sounded more real.

The last train layout I saw (not counting the Peter Ustinov and Shirley McClain(SP?) comedy about Wrong Way Goldfarb, a funny rerun from the 60's) was in the atic of our Coast Guard Aux Flotilla Chaplain. He had a nice home overlooking the Pacific with a trully spectacular view from his expansive windows but liked to take visitors up a vertical ladder into the no-standing-headroom attic where he had a really large and elaborate train layout.

Mountains, deserts, villages, factories, ranches, farms...in good detail and scale down to the silk scarf around the neck of the driver of an open touring car waiting to cross the rails when the gate went up. He had the milk can loading accessory, the mail bag and mail hook that transferred mail to the train while on the move, stock yard accessory with little moving cattle that went to a cattle car, and on and on and on. It was the best private diorama and train layout I ever had seen before or since. If you took a catalog of available accessories for Lionel and Marx trains, I think there was probably one of everything up there plus stuff I had never seen in caalogs. He had built a roundhouse, drawbridge, had a lumber mill with a crane to handle logs. About the only thing I didn't see represented was kids throwing rocks, picked up from the right of way, at the passing box cars. (It gave a great illusion of the path of the rock curving laterally) It was a few years back but it makes me feel good just to remember it. (The train layout not throwing rocks)
    And in closing (yes, it is nearly over..) this poem from my earlier slightly more poetic period.

Clickety clack, clickety clack,
    Hear the train go down the track,
    As it passes we all know,
    It has no duty but to go,
    On its way from town to town,
    Making that goshawful sound!
    Clickety clack, clickety clack
    Clickety clack.

OK, OK, it isn't a sonnet and it isn't in Iambic pentameter...I was young.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The funny thing Pat, is that if you tell someone that you are into model railroads, they think you are strang. But when they see your trains, and what you have built, They love it, and can't belive how you could do it. I have started a few people in the hobby just by bringing some trains in to work. Firs they chuckle at you, then a few weeks later, they are telling you they picked up a train set. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Got to love it.
    Paul Bradway

Paul, Without getting too far out into psychology, I'll just say that there is what people enjoy, and there is what TV and other influences condition people to think that they should enjoy. The latter buillds up a certain veneer of reisitance to the former but once that thin veneer is broached by reality, the majority of folks will go with the reality of the situation, usually.

I have been amused, at times, by the perceptions of what is MANLY until the "joy circuits" overload and preconceived perceptions are forgoten. More is the pity of folks who refuse to participate in or do what they know they like because it isn't what they thought they "should" like.

On a parallel note: I have administered blind taste tests of white meat turkey vs dark meat turkey with interesting results. Confirmed white meat folks often repeatedly choose the dark in a blind test, claiming it to be the white meat because it tastes better. When shown the "REALITY" of what they have selected, they remain unconvinced and proceed to eat ONLY the white meat when they can see to choose. Similar situations abound, pointing out curious foibles in other areas of human activity and choice.

Oh,by the way, I got my first taste of train sets as a wind up train and then got the real thing for Christmas at age 6, a Lionel steam locomotive with a working headlight and a heater in the stack that when armed with "smoke pills" would puff out smoke as it ran along. It had a really good sounding whistle which with a bit of practice you could make sound truly authentic. After a while my dad let me play with it.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

In other words, Pat, to each his own? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'll go along with that. I guess someday I should make some pictures of my eldest daughter's home. Her husband is a train nut. So far the tracks only take up one room of the house, but other train stuff is in every room. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And I think the only reason he ever got Internet access was to look at stuff about model trains. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Where at in Michigan? I'm in Ypsilanti, but am building a house this year so I don't know how much free time I will have.

I'm a few miles north of Lapeer and looking for members. 4" to the foot scale 16" gage. But I'm open to other options.

So what happened to all the train people?? Still looking for club members!!!
    mikell

I would love to Mike, but your a little far from me. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I am still thinking of a 7 1/4 guage rail line at the house, but for now its just a thought, and a dream. got to get into the house first.
    Paul Bradway

well I'm interested ... and you're not THAT far away ... but where am I supposed to find the TIME???
    Between the mini's, the time spent on the Bike Club website (and meetings), the time spent tying to keep my APICS chapter alive, the time spent on the local woodworkers club board ... and all the overtime ... I don't hardly have time to turn around or even change my mind.
    Heck ... my whole HO & N scale setup is still all boxed and stored from my move from Alberta .... 5 years ago! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Almost two years ago we moved to the Midwest and into a house that had been occupied for about five years by a couple with two teen daughters. PRIOR TO THAT it was home to a historic area family and much of their stuff was still in the basement and attic. We did a big clean-out and recovered some nice antiques, but also burned a lot of old stuff. I just COULD NOT get myself to toss out a train set that the kids had. It was the typical 1950's electric train with good sized track and a transformer for power. It's still in a box in the basement. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Speaking of trains.....I can STILL remember getting stuff off the train! I recall my dad backing our '36 Dodge pickup close to a box car and off-loading our very first electric welder in about 1947; and also seeing him back that same pickup up the ramp, onto a flatcar, and pull off a brand new FOX hay chopper. I can also remember seeing the train guys with their oil can that had a looooong stem on it oiling the engine as they sat in the station while passengers got on and off. I grew up across the road from the tracks....originally narrow guage... of the Sierra Railroad which was headquartered in Jamestown CA, and was the railroad of choice for so many movies and also the "Petticoat Junction" TV series. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave