Thread: MB Repair

Hybrid View

Re: MB Repair

Tenebrous & Karmakanic

Thanks for the tips - the re-man alternator came last Friday and I installed it. The mounting is two 14mm bolts to the engine so no adjustment bracket since it is a serpentine belt with tensioner. Takes about 20 min to RR.

The cause of the problem was a loose pulley [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. I was able to turn the pulley off by hand. The fan is a press fit setup then held down by a large thrust washer after which the pulley goes on then the 22mm nut. I had checked this out before and it seemed fine, and as stated by karmakanic when warm it expanded enough to cause the vanes to rub the casing.

The alt shaft has a 8mm allen in the end that needs to be held while tightening the recessed 22mm nut. Must be a special tool to do this but I used a 22mm socket (wrapped with rubber) with the 8mm allen through the socket then used a pair of vise grips on the socket edge.

So at the end of the day, have a new (and spare) water pump, and new (and spare) alternator for $225, and peace of mind for the next 100K+ miles.

By the way the best source I have found is a place in NC Alternator & Starter Express for all makes and models of cars trucks etc. Very reasonable - the local auto parts store wanted $210 plus my core. Their price $75 incl. shipping and no core return!!

Carl

Re: MB Repair

I am glad that you found the problem. Sometimes those things will drive nuts.