Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand Burrs

Sand Burrs

Having trouble with sand burrs, anyone know how to control them.

Re: Sand Burrs

boy do we ALSO have sand burrs down here in texas this year....this is such a nuisance on our property that the in-laws and such probably wont be back for a while (every cloud has a silver lining I guess!).....
    The local radio expert on gardening here says that they are a grassy weed only controlled with MSMA in the spring before the pop out....we'll just have to live with em this year I guess....we just got rubber boots for everyone and are learing to live with it till springtime!!

I have heard a lot about sand burrs, but have never seen any. What are they?
    Paul Bradway

They are a nuisanace weed that grows in this part of east texas,and maybe other sates also. I am not sure where to get a picture of them but they are clusters of small balls with very sharp spikes sticking out and attach to you, your pets and everything that brushes against them. They are very painful to remove, you almost need gloves to remove them from your shoe strings and whatever they attach themselves to.

<font color="purple"> They are a nuisanace weed that grows in this part of east texas </font color>

I have not-so-fond memories of these monsters from growing up in East Texas (Longview, Texarkana). They are certainly painful. Some years seemed to be worse than others.

They are also a problem in Florida -- I seem to remember licking my fingers before attempting to pull them out of my foot -- not sure if that did anything or not [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] for they still hurt my fingers.

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Thanks for the information on MSMA.

Thanks also. I'll have to check out the MSMA this spring. We've got small patches that are starting to expand also. Nasty little plant.

Sand burrs are just aweful, the spawn of hell, right up there with fire ants.

I had fairly good success spraying them with Roundup in the middle of summer. Downside was all the brown patches in my bermuda grass lawn. If I had a place that was thick with them, I'd nuke it all with Roundup, then after they died, I'd burn it. Then I'd drink a frosty cold one and congratulate myself.

I don't know what MSMA is, but am curious. Is it harmless to other grasses or what's the deal?
    Fishman

Your statement of licking your fingers before pulling grassburrs, reminded me of when I was a kid, growing up near Ft Worth. We always went barefoot in the summer &amp; always were getting grassburrs.

Now the story. We always had about 3 dogs, but I had one old dog that would pull my grassburrs for me and he could do it without hurting. I still remember the moisture I felt as he mouthed around on that old grassburr.