Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sand Burrs

Re: Sand Burrs

Never heard anything like that before! Sounds like that old dog really earned his keep!
    Chris

Paul

I'm not sure we get anything like that this far North. Sounds a little like Burdock (sp?), but I think Burdock must be much taller.

Steve

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Steve, I was also thinking it sounds like burdock. We have some in our pasture that I'm always trying t get rid of. The horses always roll in it, and get the burrs all over their forelocks, manes and tails. It's miserable to get them out!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

We've got some growing at the back of the pasture, but I don't recall it being short enough to step on. I suppose if it was already knocked down...

Burdock burrs are pretty hard to get off clothes and out of hair, but I haven't had any trouble getting them off my skin.

Steve

No, the burdock aka cockleburr is fairly large with hooked spikes and yes they are a b... to get out of clothes, hair etc.
    The sand burr is the spawn from hell. Very small, viney and creeps. The burr itself is less than 1/2 the size of a small pea with -many- spines. You usually don't know it's there until it's too late but then you for -sure- know you've been had. I would rather get a dose of chiggers than fall in a sandburr spot.

Harry K

Paul,

they might not have made it to Michigan, but they are alive and well in SW Iowa..OUCH! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Steve

Sand Burrs grow in poor soil. Fertilize well and they will disappear. Sand Burrs cannot stand prosperity.

Otis is correct in fertilizing. I have sandburs in the pasture. I've had good luck in planting lovegrass in the patches. It smothers them out. Bob

This information should help you:

grass burs

Listen to Otis's ansewr. Fertilizing usually takes care of it. Check with your extension agent and see if he can make reccomendations for your specific area. I think it's the nitrogen they don't like. Not sure of that though. I know I put out a high nitrogen fertilizer and it really knocked them back.

Dick