Thread: wrecked cars trucks

wrecked cars trucks

When late model cars/trucks are wrecked and totaled,I assume the insurance company sells them to individuals and wrecking yards that part them out (ie: wrecking/junk yards)can an individual buy these wrecks etc from the insurance companys,how does an individual get a heads up on stuff like this that is being sold?Are there any web links pages etc..What are some of the major wrecking/junk yards etc.I am interested in Land Rover and Mercedes.

Thanks
    Scott

Re: wrecked cars trucks

Scott, usually the insurance company will have a contract with several wrecking yards to sell of the totaled cars. If your own car is totaled, you do have an opportunity to buy it for a salvage fee, but be aware that the salvage fee to you is often higher than to the wrecking yard - in other words, there is some negotiation, but it's often difficult to do.
    By having contracts in place to quickly rid themselves of the totaled cars, the insurance company will not usually offer the cars for sale to the general public. Too much trouble and too much liability.
    Can't help you on particular yards for LR and Mercedes, but perhaps a search on the Internet can yield some results.
    Nick

Scott, There are yards specializing in MB. One is in San Diego. Don't recall the name but shouldn't be too hard to track down. Land Rover? Sorry. My understanding of Land Rover is that parts are a good news bad news story. The good news is that they are pretty widely available. The bad news is that you need the good news too often.

Usually the larger yards are able to communicate with all the other large yards in an area so a few well placed queries covers a large number of yards. There are used parts suppliers that work via the internet. I bought an intake manifold for my Cummins Turbodiesel from an internet savy yard and had contact with a few others. Got a non-California smogified manifold for better breathing.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Scott,

Try mercedes forum for info on MB. Very similar to CBN/TBN and has a lot of data on various models etc..

Carl

Scott,

You might want to find out what your particular state's rules, regulations and requirements are on titling and title branding for cars which have been declared "totalled." If you're looking to rebuild one for yourself and intend to then drive it until the wheels fall off it won't matter. If you intend to sell or trade your rebuilt vehicle, title branding becomes a very important issue as it can reduce the value by as much as 40% or more. I hope this helps. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]