Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HomeBrewing

HomeBrewing

So, how many homebrewers or winemakers do we have out there ? What is your favorite fermentation ?

Mine would be a wheat ale brewed with maple syrup. Has quite a kick and has been known to blow the lid off of the fermenter. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Ed King

Re: HomeBrewing

I tried homebrewing beer once about 10 years ago, but with no luck...it was all bad when I drank it. Probably contaiminated during the bottling phase...anyway, this winter I plan on trying wine this time...actually, have been planning it for quite some time (I have about 20 cases of empty wine bottles saved up!), but looks like I'll finally have some time this year to give it a try.

Any recommendations for a no-fail, quick to drink wine as a first test? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

""Any recommendations for a no-fail, quick to drink wine as a first test?""

To meet those conditions it's best to visit your local spirit's dispenser and make the purchase of your choice.

Home brewing requires patience and more patience. Beer is the fastest from primary fermentor to final dispension stage.

Egon

<font color="blue"> </font color> Any recommendations for a no-fail, quick to drink wine as a first test?
    <font color="black"> </font color>
    I would recomend finding a homebrewing/winemaking store in your area, and asking for advise/assistance there.

Ed King

Ed, I haven't brewed anything yet, but will be finishing my brewery up during welding class during the next couple weeks.

A friend of mine teaches the night welding class and is a home brewer. He is pretty good friends with some of the guys that run area micro breweries.

I am building a three tier system with 15 gal kegs. Another guy in class may have a salavged stainless cylinder with a conical bottom that I am going to try to turn into a fermentor. If I can't I will just use carboys.

I will be doing a practice batch at Bryans in a couple weeks, then I'm going to do the same batch on mine so I hopefully can do it right.

Give me some ideas on your recipe and maybe a picture of how you brew.

Gotta go students are here.

I got into homebrewing about 12 years ago, with the malt extract kits, moved into all-grain brewing a couple years after that. It's a great hobby. I haven't done that much in the last couple of years (too many other projects). One thing I can recommend is if you are remotely serious about it, move quickly into kegging your brews. Washing, sterilizing and filling (and capping) all those bottles gets old pretty quick. There are several kegging systems on the market now, but I started with (and still use) regular 5-gallon soda kegs. Easy and cheap to find, quick to clean and fill, and there's nothing like coming in after work and drawing off a tall draft of your own brew (good to take to parties, excuse me I mean "tastings" too).

If you get into this, keep an eye out for a used refrigerator. The CFO may not be nuts about several 5-gallon kegs taking up space in the kitchen frig. Also, unless your climate is very cooperative, you need fairly strict temperature control to make lagers successfully. I keep my spare frig in the shop, which is handy, but does require a certain amount of self-control when working on projects with power tools [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Darel

DarelS,

I'm intrigued. I used to homebrew quite a bit, but haven't done so recently, mainly because of all the work involved with bottling, just too much time. How do these keg systems work particularly your soda kegs? I assume some sort of tap is needed. Where do you find your soda kegs, surplus from the bottling plant? A keg system sounds very attractive, and I've been looking for an excuse for an extra fridge in the shop [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Fishman

The kegs are plain old soda kegs. They have a removable lid, which facilitates cleaning. They have a simple gas in connection, and liquid out connection. The liquid out conection hooks to a tap just like any other delivery system. No modification of the "corny keg" or corneilius(sp!) is needed.

There are two types, a pin-lock, and a ball-lock. One is Pepsi products, one is Coca Cola products. I don't remember which is which [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I have all ball-lock style. Most brew stores have them available. They are available over the web too. Sometimes you can get them from soda suppliers...

A short apartment fridge can hold one or two of these, depending on the fridge. That's a popular way to do it. Otherwise, a regular fridge can hold a bunch of them.

I brew form time to time, on a 10g three tier gravity feed system. My favorite beer was actually an extract; a full blown Rasberry Imperial Stout. It was awesome! I also have a "stock" recipe, that is simply modified to make a fruit beer(I use fruit extract for it), or a light ale. I have made a lot of different styles over the years though. In fact, I was one of the first 100 or so people on the original Homebrew Digest.

I have a 3-tier system. My boiler, and lauter warming containers are 15g kegs. My mashtun is a 48qt cooler with an upper sprinkler manifold, and a lower collection manifold. I made mine out of expanded steel.

When you cut the kegs, go to Wal Mart or K-mart and get a lid that will fit inside the handle rail on the top of the keg. Kut just the top of the keg around the tap area. The lid works to keep things covered and clean.

If you leave the "handrail" on the keg, it is a lot easier to handle. I see folks that cut the whole top of the keg off, and then have to add handles later. That's a pain.

Also, With material still reamining inside the Handrail area, it is curved(towards where the tap used to be). This really helps contorl boil-over too.