Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewood Rack

Firewood Rack

The problem: Trudging out in the wet and cold for firewood.

Once the weather turns nasty, it's no fun bundling up, getting shoes wet/dirty to go across the yard to get an arm load of firewood.

The solution: A rack to hold a supply of firewood that can be kept close to the house.

The local steel scrap yard had all the angle iron and rebar for the job.

Re: Firewood Rack

A little welding, wire brushing and a can of spray paint, and viola...the frame is done.

Old 2x6s are layed in place for floor boards. They're held off the ground by the short pieces of angle iron welded across the bottom of the frame.

Finally, positioned near the house for easy access and armed with ammunition.

OkieG

How much wood does it hold, I have four cords sitting on my deck right now for the winter?

DumbDog,

Hello. The rack is 6' long and just over 3' tall. It was designed to fit against the six foot wide brick wall pictured in the photos. The height was determined by what was available in the scrap yard at the time. No reason why you can't build longer or higher....or smaller. I built a smaller version last season, but decided a bigger one was in order. So, I built the one pictured over this weekend.

There are about 2 cords of firewood in the back yard, stacked between trees. My goal was to have a supply nearer the house to draw on during our cold snaps...then refill the rack between the cold snaps and so on throughout the winter.

I believe you could build just about any size of rack you want, or build multiple racks of a convenient size.

OkieG

I have been thinking of building a rack simmiler to that, but with an aera under to slip some tractor forks through. That way I can have two. One full by the house, and anouther neer the wood pile. When the house one is getting low, fill the other, and run it to the house, and bring the other to the pile. Of corse I wil need to get a tractor first. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but thats my idea.
    Paul Bradway

Paul,

If you are already thinking about projects like fork liftable firewood racks, you really NEED to buy a tractor, NOW!!

All it took was mowing and being able to move a little dirt to convince me I couldn't make it without one. What are you waiting for?

The longer you wait, the more good ideas will drift into hazy obscurity. If you had a tractor you could act on the ideas and be enjoying the results. Plus, you'd be posting good food for thought (maybe with pictures) for the rest of us.

Have you decided on what kind of tractor you need/want? And, when you might buy it?

OkieG

<font color="red"> What are you waiting for? </font color>

The right one, for real cheap.

<font color="red"> Have you decided on what kind of tractor you need/want? And, when you might buy it </font color>

One that does everything I need it to do, for what I have to spend. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Someone years ago on TBN had an idea I have kept in the back of my mind. They had made a wood rake, or it may have been several, that had heavy casters so it could be lifted with forks or a carryall and placed on their deck. With the casters it could then be moved where needed.

On my "one of these days" list, I've wanted to make up a half a dozen 4x4x4 foot rakes that could be moved with the tractor from next years storage area to this years fire wood pile area. One of these days.

MarkV