Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wainscoting?

Re: Wainscoting?

<font color="blue"> Besides, I thought we'd already "cleared" the table saw with the CFO, being just a question of which one </font color>

We talked about it some more last night. She didn't have anything negative to say. I told her I was going to go look at some today. This morning I asked if she would freak out if I came home with one. She said yes. So I think its best that I don't come home with one yet.

The frustrating part is I know that in the end I will get the saw &amp; the room will look great &amp; she will be happy. It has happened before: We had to put chainlink fence over our rail fence to meet the pool code, I had to convince her to get a pnuematic stapler. 6,000 staples later, she says, I don't know how we could have done this job without it. Bought the miter saw &amp; finish nail gun to do the molding in the bedroom. She is very happy with how that looks too.

A buddy at work has a saying. "Always work like a gentlemen." If you're beating yourself up not using the proper tool or setup for the job, It will take you longer &amp; the finish product won't reach its full potential.

As a newlywed I am getting used to the fact that my life is no longer my own. How long before she beats the stubborn independence out of me? I think it comes down to I'm a spender and she's a saver. Probably a good thing for overall balance, If I want something I have to invest a lot of time &amp; energy into justifying it (or is begging a more appropriate word?). So I end up doing two cost/benift analyses: 1. the economic one -- will it save me time &amp; or money in the long run or allow me to do a better job, 2. Do I want it bad enough to beg for it.
    Hazmat

<font color="purple"> If you're beating yourself up not using the proper tool or setup for the job </font color>

You might be able to help sell the table saw as its being the proper tool for a great variety of jobs. We had a whole shop full of dedicated woodworking machinery, and I found myself spending more time at the table saw than anywhere else [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">We had a whole shop full of dedicated woodworking machinery, and I found myself spending more time at the table saw than anywhere else </font color>

Much like my fraternity manual's advice on what to wear, "The blue blazer is the backbone of any wardrobe!" The table saw is the backbone of any woodshop.
    Hazmat

Haz,

Don't forget to mention that the table saw is needed for that flooring job and even after the cost of the saw it will be cheaper than having the floor done by someone else.

MarkV

I got the green light on the table saw last night. Woo Hoo [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
    Hazmat

Now, get the next item on your list up front for consideration [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Now, get the next item on your list up front for consideration </font color>

What would you suggest? I keep forgetting that I need to get things submitted for approval 2 months in advance.
    Hazmat

<font color="purple"> What would you suggest? </font color>

A bandsaw comes in very handy for all-around utility woodworking tasks [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Show her some nicely scalloped window valances, or some decorative wooden brackets used to hold up shelves.

I just mentioned to my wife when I got home that all this tool talk has got my juices flowing again, to get back into woodworking, making stuff for our new house [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This would be my wish list for stationary tools for a starter home shop (in approximate order of acquisition)

10" table saw
    6"-8" jointer
    14" band saw
    15" planer
    drill press
    shaper (optional, but very useful if you have it)

I will probably stick to the more affordable stuff, like the Contractor's saw. For non-commercial use, it's fine. Of course, the most important tool, to come first, will be a CUT, with forks, to get this stuff off the truck and into the shop.

Think about getting a planer. You'll be surprised how often you end up using it. A light duty planer is fine when you're just starting out. I used my Makita for several years before buying a bigger planer and 10 years later my Dad is still using the Makita to make some real nice furniture.

For stationary tools you should get a table saw, jointer (at least 6" wide), planer, drill press, dust collector and air compressor. A bandsaw is nice, but in the beginning you can use a sabre saw for just about everything you'd use a bandsaw for. If you really start woodworking or will be making your own millwork get a shaper and stock feeder.

Also budget some money for chisels, planes, good measuring and marking tools and some good portable tools - 3/8 and 1/2 drill, sabre saw, circular saw, biscuit jointer, plunge router and a pneumatic pin nailer

Think about buying some of the tools used. You'll pay about .25 on the dollar and can often get some really good tools if you're patient.