Thread: Is a goat a dog?

Is a goat a dog?

I know that this is a crazy idea & question, but that hasn't stopped us before. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    We have 3 dogs (1 50# 9yr old, 2 others 65# 1 yr olds), & are installing a buried radio fence to enclose a little over 3 acres of our place for them.
    My wife & daughter want to get a goat (nanny) for pet & maybe 4H stuff later. Now here is my silly question: [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Could a baby goat be trained to learn boundaries with the radio fence? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I kind of thought that it would learn from our dogs & probably sometimes think that it was a dog... [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    We would probably put up a small pen also if needed.

Re: Is a goat a dog?

Dogs don't normally eat ground cover, plants and other vegetation that goats will enjoy [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . They will be trainable though with the collar I would imagine. In PA where I grew up they used to roam free on some farms & to the unsuspecting visitor they could certainly surprise them [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

I think you might want to visit a farm and or talk with others about having goats IMHO.

Carl

Goats are not as smart as dogs. They will wander and eat anything in their path. I have 25 goats and I have three that constantly get hung up in my fences. I've tried everything, but I 've had to pull them out at least fifty times apiece. My dogs never make the same mistake more than twice. I've raised several by bottle and they will come to you like a dog, but if I leave them alone they wander off and won't come when called. But shake a bucket of deer corn in hearing distance and all 25 will come running.

hi shade,
    this is Mrs. stoneheart, we live in Mi. and do have goats, it is best here to put up a stockfence with a hot wire at your goats rubbing height, ours are not mini goats, but all the same as far as goats go as they are a prey animal and cyotes see them as appetizers as will other preditors. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Goats are great climbers as well as good jumpers, but Im afraid preditors are too. so this is my two ennies worth. If you intend to have goats think fence. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]