Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil-less Air Compressor

Oil-less Air Compressor

I just purchased my "Christmas present" Friday night. It is a 6HP Oil-Free 33 Gallon Craftsman Air Compressor. I know Craftsman may not be one of the best brands out there, but I'm curious about the oil-free part. Now I'm not going to be out earning a living with this thing. Just occasional use around the house for the tractor (eventually), mowers, car use, and possibly a framing nailer when I get ready to build a garage. Dad says I did wrong by buying oil-free but then he has been in the tire business for 45+ years and thinks a compressor needs to run 10 hours a day 6 days a week. Did I make a mistake? Currently I'm using an old second hand Campbell Hausfeld 1HP 3 gal. Here is a link to it at Sears Craftsman Compressor . BTW, I got this for about $275. They had it on sale for $299 and we had a $25 coupon. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Oil-less Air Compressor

I've got the vertical model of the same compressor. It does everything I ask except run my two sanders [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I have a dual action & a "jitterbug". I ended up buying an electric random orbit sander. The sanders will run, but the compressor can't keep up with them & I have to take breaks to build up air pressure.

It does great with my finish nailer, cut off wheel, impact wrench, power ratchet & for filling tires.
    Hazmat

I'm currently waiting for mine to blow up so I can get a real one... I have a "5hp" (yeah right) sears model and I've dissappointed since my purchase. It pumps air fine I guess, but it's way too small for much more than an air nailer. It's LOUD, and if it runs continously for very long, It boils any air in the compressor which condenses on the way out making water mist which is just great for air tools. I wish now I'd bought a stationary oil lube one with enough moxy to actually do somthing besides make noise.

I'll second Stephen's views. There are times I wish I had gone bigger than the 4 gallon Porter-Cable oil-free unit in the shop, but so far it's done everything I've asked it to do and then some. If I decide to restore that 57 Dodge pickup I might buy a "real" compressor, but for now this little guy does the job.

Pete

jwstewar - I'm with Scott on this one. I bought a Craftsman(5 or 6hp/30 gal tank) oil-less and was never happy with it. Way too loud. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Well.....after about 3 years I had it self destruct in the middle of a painting project. The darn thing couldn't have had more than 15-20 hours on it, probably less. Not sure what let go first but piston, con rod, cylinder etc. all destroyed. Never again. Oil all the way. Broke out the 20+ year old Craftsman oil compressor which was returned to me from my brother. Hasn't missed a beat.

Anyone want a compressor for parts??? Come get it!! It's been sitting for about 2 years now and almost went to the garbage this week. I'm tired of it taking up space!! Chuck

Uh, Oh. Not sounding good here. Wonder if I should take it back. I see TSC has a 20 gal. oil from CH for $339. I think I remember hearing a while back that oil-free compressors were louder in general. Is that true?

Could always discard the compressor part and plumb the tank into your other air compressor provided they are both 120PSI compressors...Just an Idea...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I think I remember hearing a while back that oil-free compressors were louder in general. Is that true?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes!

I was running the brad nailer today with my oiless.
    Noise? I put in ear plugs and not for the nailer.

Fred

I think oil-less compressors evolved for the contractor who had to pull a compressor out of a frigid work trailer, plug it in and go to work. I can't count the time we had to use a salamander to heat the compressor so we could plug it in without popping the breaker.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

jwstewar - I checked my "parts" [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] compressor last night. It is Craftsman 6hp 33gal. From some of the discussions on TBN, my personal experience and friend's experience, I'll make the generalization....yes....they are louder. If you think about it...metal on metal vs metal on oil on metal, I guess the oil would help to quiet the operation. Besides being louder, I can't believe an oil-less will have the longevity of an oil-filled compressor. I'm proof of that [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]. I learned my lesson!! Chuck