Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil-less Air Compressor

Re: Oil-less Air Compressor

ScottAR - Thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple different buildings so I use the "old" 20 gal Craftsman in one building for light service. I also picked up a vertical 60gal OIL-FILLED [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] compressor for out in my barn where a majority of my work is done. So I just don't have any use for the grenaded compressor.

It's nice to be able to hear myself think and answer the phone with the compressor running. Even with 15' ceilings, that darn oil-less made it impossible. Chuck

My main compressor is a 20 year old Craftsman oil type unit. The compressor is aluminum but it has served me well. During our house building I bought a Makita "pancake" oilless unit for ease of portability. It works well with nail guns but I wouldn't use it for any kind of continuous duty work. It is definitely louder and a rather annoying whine at that. I'll hang on to it since it is handy to lug around but my Craftsman will continue to be my main source of fresh squeezed air [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

My uncle's 8gal. oilless can't even keep up with our framing nailer if nailing off subfloor or roof decking. I guess I'm just impatient...

Was at Sears again last night. They put the compressor that I bought on sale. It had been Regularly $329, and on sale for $299 and another $30 off if you used the rip-em-off Sears card. When we bought it was on sale for the $299 and we had a $25 coupon, but you had to use their card. So since we used the card I asked them about taking the additional $30 off as well since it is within 30 days. They said not a problem. Gonna do that tonight. So for $235 I think I'll take my chances with it. Like I said I'm not going to use it that hard and if it will last me 3 years (hopefully longer), I think I'll have gotten my money out of it especially considering it came with a 3/8" impact wrench and 3/8" rachet as well as some misc. connectors [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Since this was my "Christmas" present I finally had a chance to "play" w/ it yesterday. Didn't do much other than do the break-in for it and watch/listen to it. I guess everybody had me expecting the worst. It wasn't near as loud as I was expecting. Wasn't as loud as my Dad's oil-filled/gas one. Was pretty quick on the pressure build up. Can't wait to try it w/ my new pneumatic grease gun and my brad nailer. Gotta get me a framing nailer so that I can get that garage started....it sucks working out of an 8X16 shed...... Guess the verdict is so far I'm really happy w/ it, but I guess we will have to wait to see on the longevity. I appreciate everybodies comments. Hopefully it will do all I want for a long time.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I'm glad to hear you like your compressor, because my wife got me the same one for Christmas![img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I don't expect to use it too hard, just a source for filling air in my truck and tractor tires, and running some simple air tools. I'm sure it'll be fine for my purposes, and I'm excited about it. I haven't had time to put the handle and wheels on it. I started to put the handle on, and the holes are to big for the metal screws that came with it, so I will replace them when I put the handle on.

I can't wait to use it!!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

That is basically all I really plan on using it for other than the impact wrench for mower blades. Saw how much easier that made the job last year when Dad brought is impact wrench and we changed the blades on my pull behind mower. Maybe as one of the guys signature lines (either here or TBN) says - "Expect the worst - you won't be disappointed." I wasn't - just the opposite - pleasantly surprised. Maybe they have improved them in the last couple of years or so.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

We're both using it for the same thing! I didn't post about getting it, because so many people here, and on TBN said bad things about them. My buddy, John Miller III, who knows all, suggested that I buy this one, and my wife figured that if Johnnie thought it was good, it must be (of course, I agree!). John has been my advisor with farm equipment, so now he's my complete tool advisor!![img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] John never steers us wrong!![img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I sure am glad you like it, too. Hopefully, I'll have mine togther this weekend!!![img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

My 18 year old son got me the 5.5 hp from TSC for Christmas with a up to 1-1/2 finish nail gun. Ive used it some allready for cabinet construction and trim. So far i love it. It will only be for home use. He couldnt have gotten a better gift for me. It has only ran to fill twice so far and works this nail gun just fine. I dont plan on painting cars or roofing with it. I think it will last just fine for me. If it dont ill never tell my son unless he goes to buy one for himself one day. It would hurt his feelings as he was very proud to give his dad a gift like this. He is a Machinest apprentise and saved up for it. He actually took the money from his savings he has for his own house one day. I will not abuse it so it last a good long time. Like i said the issue with this is his pride and gratification of giving it to his dad. He couldnt have done better in my book.
    Larry

Congratulations on your compressor. Sounds like you got a pretty good son there w/ a good level head on his shoulders. Sounds like he is well on his way in life he is already working and has a savings started. Sounds like you brought him up right.