We had a heat pump installed when we bought the house in '99. It does all of the AC and maybe 50% of heat. AC works great, well I guess we supplement it with ceiling fans to keep the air moving and so it feels cooler. First 2 years we froze in the house always had to have a blanket on. To top it off the fan would "go out" on the heat pump condensor unit. What in reality was happening it was getting too cold and too much humidity and it was freezing up. When I called the installer I asked why isn't wasn't switching over to the propane furnace he said that I need to manually switch it over to the "emergency heat" setting. I told him that was BS and that I didn't want to have to remember to do that each night before I went to bed and set it back the next morning. He then told me about an outside thermostat that could be installed. This gets installed on the side of the heat pump out side. You can then adjust your temparature from 0 - 60 degrees and at that point your hp won't run but your normal furnace will. Last year was great, we stayed warm, the fan didn't "go out" and our electric bill dropped because our hp wasn't running all of the time - but we did use more propane. Hey, what can I say the furnace actually kicked in when it was supposed other than when I would manage to pry myself out from under the blanket and manually do it. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Bottom line: If you are going to do it, get an outside thermostat. Ask me that question about a year and half ago and I would have said skip the hp, go straight AC, but now we love our hp.