Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digging Out Stalls

Re: Digging Out Stalls

hi doc, we have the mats (Stall Skins) and use shavings. Our problem seems to come from a combination of surface water that soaks the clay (the urine is a contributing factor as well) and then the horses pawing at the ground when the ground is plastic. We're thinking that getting stone in place that would firm up more than the clay does, that it wouldn't deform as fast.

Before we got the barn spouts underground, and diverted the rain water away from the barn, it was worse.

Ok yea that's why I don't like the stall skins. They let the urine soak through and create a mess. If you have a good drain system then you are ok but with just clay it will be a mess.

Well I've done this a number of ways. Personally don't even bother with the mini-ex. Your stalls aren't bigger than 12x12 are they? If not just break up the ground and remove it by hand. Now with that said I wouldn't take it all out. I'd take out just 3-4". Then put one of those drain holders in the middle. You can make one yourself out of a 30 gallon barrel. If you want to go this route let me know and I'll give you better details. Then put pea gravel in that 3-4". With the drain and the 3-4" of pea gravel you won't have a problem anymore.

<font color="blue">Your stalls aren't bigger than 12x12 are they? </font color>
    Nope, they are 12' x 12'.

<font color="blue">If you want to go this route let me know and I'll give you better details.</font color>
    Sounds good to me. Let me know the details. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ya out there, doc? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Sorry Mike. I did reply to this but it must not have posted. I must have forgotten to hit the continue button. Anyway here we go.

First you only need to take off about 4" of the clay. Take it off so that you slope it to the middle graduallly. Next you can either buy premade ones or make one out of a 15-20 gallon barrel. Dig out a hole for this in the middle of your stall. Under that dig out a foot below your barrel. Then punch holes in it to let the urine drain into it. The urine will go to the middle go into the barrel and then drain out the bottom gradually. Now get some crushed rock or pea gravel, etc. Spread this 3-4" thick and then put your mats back over the top of this. You could also just put gravel in the hole in the middle but it works better if you have some distance between your floor and the bottom of where your urine ends up. I have used this system in a number of stalls over the year and never had a problem at all.

Thanks, doc. In summary, you punch holes in the top and bottom of the barrel and bury it in the middle of the stall, slope the clay towards the barrel, then cover the hole surface with stone?

Any idea who makes/where to get the premade ones?

I really think you are going to want that barrel filled with stone and I am pretty sure Doc will agree. Without it you could end up with it collapsing under a horse. Urine will corrode that barrel faster that anything. The barrel will help keep the soil out of the stone so your "french Drain' doesn't silt up. Landscape fabric wrapped around that barrel will add even another layer of silt protection.

You sure can fill them with stone but I have never had to. I use the heavy 3/4 mats where Mike will be just using the stallskin which doesn't support alot. I do think it would be a good idea in that case to put the stone in the barrel if you could get it in. The fabric is a great idea as well. I hadn't thought of that.

The barrels that I have used are the plastic ones so corrosion hasn't ever been a problem.

Mike:
    I go with cowboy on this one........my stall floors are what's called "hardpan" here in florida, and I don't want urin soaking up in the floor under my stalls, sooner or later it's gotta come out so why let it get there in the first place. On top of the hardpan I spread lime once or twice a year then the 1/2 inch thick mats and shavings on top of that and clean stalls once a day removing pee spots and crap