Thread: Confusion on Equipment nomenclature

Confusion on Equipment nomenclature

I'm confused but that is normal. How do we define what is a roter tiller, a tiller, and a disc.

To me a roter tiller has tines with a 90 degree hook on the end and are attached to a central shaft that rotates.

A tiller has large round disc's all set on one shaft that is set to be pulled at an angle and turn over the soil much the same as a multi bottom plough.

A disc has round disc's mounted on several shaft's and configured in a V with one or more V's comprizing the disc. It may be possible to vary the angle of the V .

A cultivator has shanks with shovels at the bottom which dig into the ground. There are two or more rows of alternated shank's and they are at 90 degrees to the tractor

Haven't a clue to what a disc harrow is.

Egon

Re: Confusion on Equipment nomenclature

A disk harrow is the same as what you define as a disc. It's the harrow part that's throwing you off. In days gone by they had spring tooth harrows, spiked tooth harrows and of course disk harrows. They were all used (and still are) after plowing to smooth the soil and prepare it for planting. Depending on your soil type, is what sometimes determines the type of harrow you would use. The archaic definition for harrow is : pillage plunder [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Hope this helps.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The roto tiller is as you describe.
    The disc is as a disc harrow as Argee described well.
    The tiller you mention is usually called the disc plow. It does somewhat the job a moldboard plow does.

The cultivator is sometimes a catch-all term, but includes what you describe. Often it is modified with
    a word ahead of the name, such as corn cultivator, shank cultivator, etc.

Argee:

Thanks for the information. I am familliar with a spring toothed harrow and a diamond harrow which is probably the spiked tooth one you mentioned. The disc harrow really had me confused as you surely would not want to harrow with discs with which I am familiar.

Egon

Beenthere:

Thanks for the additional information. Same equipment I think of but different nomencalture for different regions.

Egon