Thread: smoking turkey

smoking turkey

I have been informed by she who must be obeyed that I will be smoking the Thanksgiving turkey this year. The rationale is that this will free up our miniature oven (which is scheduled to disappear in a future remodel) for various other goodies. This is all fine by me, but my old Smokey Joe is about shot...I'd have to replace all the innards before I could use it, and that would probably be more than a new one. So, I'll probably use my grill, which is one of those horizontal cylinder types, without a separate smoking chamber. I've smoked ribs in it before. I just have to use something to shield the meat from the direct heat of the coals, and I've got some sheet metal that works pretty well for that. However, I don't have a good idea about the time required for a turkey. Anyone have any rules-for-the-smoker on this subject? The grill does have a thermometer, so I won't be flying completely blind, but I'd like some general idea about the time required so I can do a good estimate on the number of 12 oz curls I will go through during the process. One trick I do remember: wrap the bird in cheese cloth. Keeps it neat and helps any basting stay on. I also have a supply of apple wood for the smoke, and it and extra charcoal can be added through the air vent to minimize opening the grill.

Chuck

Re: smoking turkey

Heat should slowly reach 180 degrees on a meat thermometer inserted at the thigh and breast over a period of at least 5-6 hours. Once it hits 180, no matter how long it has cooked, remove it. The trick is making it hit 180 at the 6 hour mark. I like pecan smoke with poultry but some consider it bitter and I'd strongly suggest using a water pan.

Hope that sheet metal heat shield is NOT galvanized. IF for some reason it contacted the coals or got too hot it might contaminate the food.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Lazy J, thanks for the time guidelines. Pat, nope. It's aluminum.

Chuck

Chuck,

I have a similar smoker - - a New Braunfels [sp?], from central Tex. I smoke turkey breasts these days, as all the family & friends we have over for TG prefer the white meat. I simply drape heavy aluminum foil over the meat to keep it from getting too black. I never let the temperature gauge get over 250 - - it is usually around 200-225. I still use a meat thermometer to make sure it reaches the right temp. Best I can remember 4-5+ hours are not uncommon. I have to add coals/wood a couple of times to maintain the cooking temperature. The outside temperature can also be a factor.

BTW, a local food critic who has column & radio show, recommends you soak the turkey overnight in salt water [keep it cool, in the fridge or ice chest]. He uses most of a salt container in the water. He maintains that results in moister meat while smoking it. Obviously, rinse the bird/breast well bfore cooking. I rub the skin with butter + salt before placing on the cooker. I don't bother with basting it, once it is on. I place the meat on a oblong pan with a grill & use the drippings in the gravey. deelish.

Good luck.

tdcg,

I think the boss has decided on a breast as well....I like the dark meat but most of the family doesn't, and there's usually lots of waste with a whole bird. I'm also going to do a small ham at the same time. It'll be one of the fully cooked kind, so the smoking is for flavor and to warm it up. My grill is plenty big enough for both, and the oven will then be freed up for other goodies. Our boy who's at college is counting the days, hours and minutes until Thanksgiving, and every time we talk to him he asks about the projected menu....seems dorm food gets old real quick.

Chuck

I used to smoke turkey, but a 5 bird a day habbit was expensive and they were hard to light.... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But really, I've cooked many turkeys on the ol webber. I'll never make one in the oven again. The key is adding 5-10 pieces of charcol each hour to keep the temp constant.
    Roger Meadows
    TiAnViCa Ranch
    Mulberry, Florida

gvbf. the first word is a message from my new cat as she jumped on the keyboard, she likes birds as well. A number of years ago, I bought a Holland Grill. It has a solid drip pan in it that drains to the outside and it maintains a 375 degree temperature with the lid down. It is great for everything from hot dogs to fish. I place a clay full of wood chips in the base of the grill and put the bird on the grate supported by onions, neckbone, carrot etc.... The grill has one large gas burner in the center under the drip pan, it NEVER flares up or catches on fire. It does a great job of cooking the bird with a smoked flavour yet not drying it out. At just under five years old, the top and bottom shells were rusting so they sent me new parts made of the new steel they were using that won't rust out, same material the catalists are made of. The burner rusted last year, they sent me a new one. I have had to pay freight but to date I have pretty much rebuilt the entire grill minus grate and shelves for $80. Mr Holland himself was at the NYS fair with his grills, says a good deal about the company.
    Bayrat

The salt brine works well. We took the idea from Martha; salt brine with a 5th of Wild Turkey whiskey in it. It is really good! Works great with wild turkeys. The salt brine helps get the moisture in the bird.

My wife tried this with ducks too. It worked really well.

Smokers run at a very low temperature so the first hour or so is spent just getting the bird up to ambient temperature. I throw my bird in the oven for 15-20 minutes just to get it jump-started before I bring it to the smoker. Can you fit a bowl of liquid under the hood of you cooker?
    As far as timing, I've done em for 4 hours and 6 hours and couldn't really tell the difference. When the wife tells me it's dinnertime it's done.