Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vehicle restoration reference

Re: Vehicle restoration reference

I've done a lot of resto/mod work over the years and by far, careful cataloging of parts is a must. I use pictures, sketches, video, storage containers and bags. Be very specific on your parts descriptions. I also tend to group assemblies together in the eventual order that I will do the rebuild. When I'm ready for re-assembly, I wind up with new, refurbished, painted. plated parts on storage racks so assembly is very organized. Of course this means that I've first spent months doing nothing but grunt work [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

In addition to assembly and shop manuals, the internet is a terrific source for forums (like this one!) for your specific car/truck.

For the engine choice, I would go with the 318/auto for a driver - you'll wind up using it more than you think! Parts are available anywhere, modifications are easy and well documented, a/c and accessory brackets are available, and there's nothing wrong with a good crisp shifting automatic behind a nicely cammed engine. I like rowing gears too, but around here traffic can make it a pain to crawl around in 1st. Just my opinion [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Also, for the older street rods and trucks, most of the folks I deal with have gone wth the installation of sub-frames for the front - these are not too bad $$-wise to have installed by a competent shop that has a jig set up to do it right. The benefit is that the subframe is already set up for a V8, front disc brakes, and front steering (in front of the crossmember to avoid oil pan interference).

Speaking of brakes, please don't consider using your truck with a single reservoir master cylinder - I have seen too many close calls and outright accidents from a brake system minor leak that turned serious very quickly. You don't have to have power brakes, but I strongly suggest a dual reservoir master cylinder for safety's sake - this will separate the front and rear brakes in case of problems. With the single reservoir all your eggs are in the same basket.

Nick

Look for a Dodge forum online like this one. They are invaluable for specific questions that you will not find in a book. I do not know of any to suggest though. Now if you were rebuilding a Ford . . .

<font color="blue"> Now if you were rebuilding a Ford . . . </font color>

That's the story of my life! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Parts galore for Fords and Chevys, but Dodge parts from the Era of Bad Sales are few and far between. Unfortunately, the Wife doesn't like those "mean looking" trucks. Her Dodge is "cute." And she has named it. Around here the general rule is objects with names cannot be sold, dismantled, butchered or eaten. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Pete

<font color="red"> Now if you were rebuilding a Ford . . .
    </font color>

Thats where my intrests run also. With a 70 Mustang tourn apart, and a 72 LTD convertible next up, I'm busy. Unless I can find that 48-50 Ford pickup. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Hay Pete, Heres a web site I found wile looking for some stuff for my old Powerwagon.
    pickups

Don't know if it will be any help, but there is a lot of old truck info there.
    Paul Bradway