Thread: what is the best cash crop to grow in NY climate

what is the best cash crop to grow in NY climate

Does anyone know the best cash crop that is the easiest to grow in the state of New York? I have a huge garden and all i ever plant is just enough for the familey to eat. I would like to grow a cash crop also. I have great road side sale area on a high traffic main road. Any ideas would be great. Thanks Larry

Administrator

Re: what is the best cash crop to grow in NY climate

There are many options for cash crops. In terms of net dollar yield per acre, I believe a very simple crop such as peppermint, would bring in around $2,000 net per acre. This presumes of course that you have an organic crop, and all of the certifications and equipment for harvesting, as well as ways to market.

There is a cheap little book on potential for herbs as cash crops, linked below.

Both nutritional herbs and medicinal herbs can bring in a lot of money with relatively small yields.

Amazon Link to Herb as Cash Crop book

Hope this helps.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Why not expand your garden and offer a variety of produce. Raspberries are also fairly easy to grow and get a good price. Melons are another item to consider. They are fairly easy to grow and not everyone has them.

If you are just going to sell from in front of the house, you should consider having a variety of things for sale rather than just item so that you can get more cars to stop.

Thats a thought, but i was thinking more on the lines of a single item to monoplies and concentrate on. Possible have it trucked to market , store or for procesing. Berries sounds like a avenue. Or a hearb possibly. The idea of many different items is good, but ide rather not do the roadside thing if possible.

I've been told by a buyer for a high profile (downtown Montreal) fruit and vegetable market that people growing basil are doing very well.