Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living, Dining, & Family Room makeover

Re: Living, Dining, & Family Room makeover

Built in bookcase
    Hazmat

I've been taking some pics with the wife's 35mm as well as the cheap camera. When they get developed I'll post them.
    Hazmat

It sure looks like you have your work cut out for you. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="purple"> #1 Living Room </font color>

Are the double-hung windows 8 over 12, or 12 over 12? (It's hard to tell because of the curtain valance).

Could be a distortion in the picture, but they almost appear to be bowed???? Or are they flat?

<font color="purple"> The tall windows </font color>

In addition to the functionality of providing more light, I have always liked the look of the "disproportional" double-hungs. Usually the top sash and bottom sash glass area is identical, but, they're almost all this way and it gets to look old.

Is that window twenty panes of glass ("divided lites"), or two panes with snap-in grills??

Nice looking house, BTW [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Is that window twenty panes of glass ("divided lites"), or two panes with snap-in grills??
    </font color>

Two panes w/ snap in grills. Makes painting a whole lot easier!!! Yes they are 8 over 12.
    Hazmat

<font color="purple"> Two panes w/ snap in grills. Makes painting a whole lot easier!!! </font color>

That is an excellent side benefit (that, and cleaning, too) [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The original reasons for snap-in grills were less labor to make/glaze the window, and lower material costs for insulated glass ("thermopane"), when energy efficiency became more important.

I dunno if this was an idea that made it, because I have not recently checked out the market, but at one time one manufacturer even offered mini-blinds inside of the insulated glass (between the two panes).

I think Anderson and perhaps Marvin offer "between the panes" miniblinds. Just looking at the Andferson web site, but not finding it.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

More progress to report:

Bought table saw on Friday, grunt, grunt more power [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Also picked up beadboard wainscot. Letting it acclimate to room environment.

Spent the better part of Saturday shopping for wood stove. Purchased Vermont Castings Intreped II. It wil be a while before they install it. That's good because I need to remove the gas fireplace insert &amp; the chamfered corner first. Then have to fix the soon to be missing wall. Also might have to have eletric, phone &amp; cable service to house moved. Who do I call for this? Electric Utility or Electrician? The stove installer should be by in the next week or two, so I'll wait until he tells me where he wants them.

Spent Sunday removing the rest of the massive amounts of caulk on the door &amp; window casings. Sanded casings in Dining room. Ready to install wainscot now.
    Hazmat

Also might have to have eletric, phone &amp; cable service to house moved. Who do I call for this? Electric Utility or Electrician?

Get an electrician first then call all the companies for a disconnect time table and then have an electrician do the work. This takes some coordination as you can imagine. Most of the time a new service is put in the new location, then on the disconnect day all thats needed is to swap over the lines on the panel and at the pole.