Thread: Outside Chimney OK?

Outside Chimney OK?

Well after browsing the woodheat.org web page & their links to the canadian govt. on woodheat. It appears that the best place for a chimney is inside the house. Also appears that the worst setup you could have is an outdoor chimney!

After some some head scratching & measuring etc. It ain't gonna happen. It's either up the outside wall or no stove!

Seems that stoves / wood furnaces in the basement were the worst. This stove will be on the first floor. The chimney will be near the peak of the roof. The stove dealer didn't have any problem with the chimney being outside. It's OK if I have to crack a window to get a fire started, but other than that, I want a good system: no smoke in the house.

Anybody have an outside chimney? Will it work?
    Hazmat

Re: Outside Chimney OK?

I would hope everyone has an outside chimney at some point. I think what your talking about is running the chimney pipe on the outside of the house. Many new homes have them outside, They just build a "faux" chimney around them.

I think the the problem is that you COOL the chimney quicker when directly ouside and have a potential of not drafting correclty. can you build a wooden chiimney around the outside pipe?

Chimneys that run up on the outside cool the smoke and cause the creosote to condense out of the cooling smoke (gases). The creosote is then a problem, either causing a fire hazard (chimney fire) or causing the chimney to become smaller, thus affecting the draft (movement of air and smoke up the chimney) and allowing more condensing of the smoke and thus more creosote.

The warmer you can keep the chimney (build a chase around the chimney) the better off you will be. Cleaning the outside chimney more often than an inside chimney will be necessary, but do-able.

<font color="blue"> I would hope everyone has an outside chimney at some point. I think what your talking about is running the chimney pipe on the outside of the house. </font color>

Yes, that's what I meant.

<font color="blue">I think the the problem is that you COOL the chimney quicker when directly ouside and have a potential of not drafting correclty. Can you build a wooden chimney around the outside pipe? </font color>

This is what I'm worried about. I've been surfing some more &amp; now have conflicting info. The consesus is that a chimney thru the house is the the best. But the difference of opinion is how bad is an outside pipe.

I could frame in the metal pipe with a wooden box. Actually I'd probably have it done, as by the time I rented the scaffolding etc. &amp; factor in the learning curve, I think I'd be better off having a pro do the work. Already talked to the wife about this (for aesthetic purposes) she didn't think it was worth it. Although she liked that it could be a retrofit in case she changed her mind [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Sounds like a good plan B (aesthetically &amp; functionally)

My fluid mechanics is a bit rusty, but maybe I'll have to do some calculations. Or better yet invent a chimney warmer.

Hazmat

Hazmat,

When my wife starts talking about aesthetics I know it's going to cost some serious $ [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So to enclose this pipe, insulate the space, maybe a real chimney is the way to go? Have you gotten a quote/estimate for an outside chimney with brick or stone?

Aesthetically this would be the best solution, but then again I like to spend OPM..

Carl

I have the same problem. Outside chimney or no stove.

I was just at my Father in law's house in southern Missouri and he has a wood stove he put in, that has a horizontal section and an outside chimney. Number one, the chimney is insulated, and number two, it has a cleanout at the bottom. He just opens a damper on the the outside of the house at the bottom of the metal chimney, beats on the chimney with his hands, and the creosote falls out into a bucket. He says, no problem. This is what I plan to do, as the alternative is no stove at all.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Administrator

Hi,

We had a pipe that vented out from a woodbox woodstove to the outside of the house, then up about 20 feet.

Ours was made out of Metalbestos.

Nice thing about metalbestos is that you can run it inside too, and even a wall two inches away doesn't get hot, or catch fire. Very safe, IMO.

We never had much problem with creosote build up, except if we burned some green wood once in a while.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator