Thread: Volunteering

Volunteering

Slow day at work so I'm chatting up a storm [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I signed up to be a ski patroller at the local "mountain" Ski Bradford

This winter I will be trained in the "skiing part" ie toboggan handling etc. Followed by the first aid (Outdoor Emergency Care). I feel its a good way for me to give a little back to a sport I enjoy. One of the perks is your family gets to ski for free [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

While in college I was a volunteer firefighter in Cayuga Heights. I've thought about getting back into that, maybe when all the house projects are done. Our local department is actually a paid call system, but when you figure the hourly rate, you have to consider that you are voluteering a majority of that hour!

Please share your experiences.
    Hazmat

Re: Volunteering

I was a volunteer firefighter for a few years, a few years back, but unfortunately I moved to another town (only 5 miles away, but a new town none-the-less) and the volunteer fireman in this town had a very different attitude towards newcomers...it was kind of like "we'll I guess we can't STOP you from being a volunteer....." I got the picture...and the unsaid message.

ANyway, I haven't lost the bug, because I am am at home almost all the time, and most volunteers work out of town, I have felt guilty about not still being a volunteer.

I have actually had plans to talk to the guys from my old dept and see if they would let me still be a volunteer even though I don't live in town (my house is only 1.1 miles over the border, and there is precendent for this with other members).

Anyway, this time around I was thinking more of volunteering as an EMT(I would need to take the training), which are in very high demand because of the few number of people that 1) are smart enough to actually pass the tests, and 2) are willing to put the time in to classroom study to get certified.

I wasn't always comfortable with the risks that some of the volunteer ff's would take anyway(i.e. putting out car fires from a really close distance w/out the benefit of canned air tanks), and I figure as an EMT you would have a little more control of what risk you would take.

I do miss driving the big engines really fast though.... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I agree with you that one should give back to the community if you expect to improve the area you live in.
    My wife and I have no children (married late) but have been very involved in the local community over the years. We tend to do things in 10-year periods. First I was a counselor for a drug and crises intervention center and then became a board member for that same organization. Next 10 year cycle my wife and I (we still do) are State and World judges for Odyssey of the Mind which is now called Destination Imagination. We do this for Minnesota and Montana. We also are State judges for speech and drama.
    Our next 10 year project? Who knows, they just seem to pop up and we enjoy being involved.
    PJ

Hay Hazmat a question how is the skiing and how are the lessons my son has been bugging me to take him skiing
    and braford is real close too home in fact we new some ski patrols from their many years ago maybee we will see you their
    THANKS EDT

<font color="blue"> Hay Hazmat a question how is the skiing and how are the lessons my son has been bugging me to take him skiing
    and braford is real close too home in fact we new some ski patrols from their many years ago maybee we will see you their
    THANKS EDT </font color>

ED,

Don't really have any aswers as I haven't actually skied there yet. Kept meaning to last winter, but the weather wasn't cooperating.

I did visit last weekend. Not alot of vertical, but plenty of lifts to keep the skiers moving. Nice little bunney hill too. These small hills specialize in teaching kids how to ski. Its the only way they stay in business. A buddy at work is on the patrol &amp; says that the instruction is a well run program.
    Hazmat

Cool thanks hazmat we have been up too see the hill but like you said last year was tough on local skiers WE may see you this year
    EDT

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

Hi Hazmat,

Volunteering is fun, most times. I've belong to a volunteer fire company, but don't run calls. I belonged for the last 22 years, and about 3 years ago, I was asked to run for an office. I ran, and won. I enjoy helping by making sure the Equiptment is running, and the Building is in good repair. The fire stuff, I leave to someone else. Also I'm surround by older people in my neighborhood. I believe , that its important to help them also. I remember when I hurt my back a few years back, and couldn't mow my grass. Doggone it if I didn't have two 70 year old neighbors mowing it for me. I didn't want them to do it, but try and stop them. I helped them where ever I could, and they remembered it. Great neighbors are hard to find. I'm blessed.

Kent