Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First Snow!

Re: First Snow!

<font color="blue">Hello out there, are the snow gods listening????? </font color>

Shhhh! Don't make 'em mad. Maybe they'll forget about us.

Steve

<font color="blue">Shhhh! Don't make 'em mad. </font color>

Don't make 'em mad!!! Somebody must have because they have been relentless up here in the last month. Since the first part of January we've gotten upwards of three feet of their fury!!!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We do seem to be in a "dead spot" here ... quite reminds me of my place in Alberta .... you could actually see the clouds split before they got to me .... it would be raining everywhere around except on my property.
    It looks like I should be able to drive the sled onto the truck and haul it up to Cadillac ... the snow seems to have hoit them just fine.
    Didn't get any of that stuff you "threatened me" with ... just wind. It may be my imagination but I started to notice wind about the time I bought my first Wing ... and it hasn't stopped since (although some days are worse than others.)
    I used to compain about the wind in Alberta ... but the "average" winds here would be gales there! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Wingnut,

Just spent the last three days in Cadillac. There's plenty of snow if your lookin' to go sledding. There was also plenty of subzero weather so dress warm....... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Argee's right. I just got back from Cadillac about an hour ago. The snow ranges from about a foot to almost hip deep depending on whether it has drifted in or out. The sun was out on it all day today and the roads have been salted and are dry. I've noticed some spots have blown out down to where the ice rains hit us a couple of weeks ago. Ought to be interesting sledding. Ice, drift, ice, drift, ice...

The best part is no wind today [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Steve

thanx Argee and Steve .... unfortunately, I decided against taking the weekend off. Still trying to get the poolhouse heated again (will get the new boiler in this evening I hope) and had to go out in that bitterly cold (wind chill) to work on the barn door. For some reason, the nuts on the two bolts holding the sliding door up always seem to like to loose up in the winter ... took quite a while to manage to get them pulled back up. Think I'll have to spring for some lock nuts this spring after it melts enough to properly work on it.
    If it's warm enough this weekend, when I get back from Indiana ... maybe the wife will agree to go for a little ride. She did like the scenery up Cadillac way when we went for a drive this fall ....

<font color="blue"> For some reason, the nuts on the two bolts holding the sliding door up always seem to like to loose up in winter... </font color>

I believe that is Murphys Law, Sec 2:

When something can go wrong, it will go wrong at the worst possible moment.

Steve

I figured it was either that clown Murphy ... or else the nut and bolt contracting in the cold at different rates. They don't seem to loosen up (I look up to see how they're doing) until late in the year/middle of the winter.

And it sure helps that it requires a contortionist with 6 arms to get a socket on those nuts!

pete

You might try smearing the threads with super glue. I like to use it rather than lock tite since it's readily available in a gel. My Dad used to use linseed oil the same way, but I've never had much luck with it. If you apply it when the nuts are loose, it should hold year around.

Steve