Thread: Phone Programing for 911

Phone Programing for 911

How can you program a new phone without dialing the 911 operator? If you can't, then what would be the proper way to do it? Do you go ahead and dial it then inform the 911 operator that you are just programing your phone? Or should I call the sherriff's department directly? Last time I miss dialed on my speed buttons two cars from the sherriff's department showed up at my door step, I was so embarrased to say the least. I know that you shouldn't dial unless it is an emergency because you may be tying up the line. Anyone have any suggestions. Thank you, Lynn

Re: Phone Programing for 911

With mine, you program in the speed dial numbers without going "off hook". For 911, many phones already have that number programmed in to a special button or speed dial number. It's almost easier to dial "911" than to use the speed dial feature (unles it's a one-button deal)

-Frank

>>It's almost easier to dial "911" than to use the speed dial feature (unles it's a one-button deal)

I gotta agree with that one...why program a sequence of keystrokes that you may or may not remember in an emergency...dialing 911 is about as easy as it gets [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I dont know of any phone that you need to actually dial the number to store the memory. Usually you just dial the number and then use the store function. Never hit the send button.

On the other hand, why would you need to program 911. Most phones would require at least 2 keypresses to dial a memory. Might as well dial all three.

I agree ... why use two steps ... but if it doesn't have a 911 key and you want to program, I've never seen a phone that doesn't use the same store protocol:
    hit store, enter the number, hit store, enter the save number (for example 0 or 1.) At no time does the phone go live ... all that is on-hook. If you get the 911 operator, you'll know you screwed up - in two ways [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    it's a shame that common sense isn't