Thread: gasoline smell

gasoline smell

My 1991 F150 (big six) seems to be stinking up my garage with gasoline. I've checked for leaks and can't find even a damp spot. There's a big black can thing under the hood....is it a fume absorber? Maybe it contains something like charcoal and is exhausted? What do you think?

Chuck

Re: gasoline smell

Some suggestions:

Double check for leaks while the engine is running - some very small leaks can evaporate quickly.

Replace the gas cap - they are set up for a pressurized tank and they do need occasional replacement.

The cannister under the hood is an evaporative emissions cannister. It has an internal filter element with charcoal filtration too. It's intended to contain fuel vapors so they can be redrawn into the induction system of the engine. They do clog up, causing the fuel smell, and can be replaced - in some cases you can replace the internals. Look under it and you will see the air filtration element in the bottom - might try cleaning it to see if that helps, but most cases you probably need another one. These units also have a check valve at the top that can be defective. One option is to go to a wrecking yard and see if there is one from a newer truck that will fit. I know for GM they tend to keep the cannister the same for many years.
    Nick

I had the same problem with my F-250 and could not find the source. Chevdog is right, I replaced the gas cap and solved the problem. I hope that it is as easy for you.

Thanks guys. If I ever manage to get home with my brain intact I'll check both the gas caps first.

Chuck

<font color="blue"> I had the same problem with my F-250 and could not find the source. </font color>

So did I. I solved it by going out and buying a Chevy! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]