Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caretakers For Remote Properties

California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills

Re: Caretakers For Remote Properties

Gary -
    Sounds like you're a little like me. I always want to give somebody the benefit of the doubt and do what I can to help, but sometimes it just comes back to bite you in the butt. I want to do the right thing, but I don't want to be foolish.

Brad -
    I gotta admit, what you say makes sense, even if it's not what I want to hear.

<font color="blue">Crank (Methamphetamine) is prevalent in the area your property is in</font color>

I have no reason to doubt you, but now I'm curious as to how you know that. Aren't you in Texas?

Harv, sure hate to hear about the problem with your caretaker. From all indications it sounded like you had found the perfect couple to watch your property. It seems to me that you need to fill in the blanks of the story before you can decide what sort of help you should, or if you should, offer to help. Around here things would have gotten pretty bad before the DA would have him picked up without another incident occurring. Makes me wonder what went on the first time around.

I like Gary's idea of contacting the church pastor. If these people were as active in the church as you were lead to believe, I am sure the pastor would want to help. I would think the guys reaction to the pastor would be very telling as to his true attitude.

I am afraid that Brad makes a good point when you think of some one that starts wiring a shed at 3:00 in the morning.

Good luck,
    MarkV

Harv,

You're right about things sometimes coming around to bite me in the butt. It's happened more often than I care to admit and I've got the stack of bankruptcy notices naming me as a creditor to prove it. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I guess I just must figure the good I do outweighs the bad I endure so it's still worth doing.

I'm so far outside 'the loop' that I never considered what Mark suggested. Like you, I have to agree that something like that is a very real possibility. If that is, in fact, the situation it's possible someone at either the DA's office or hospital can shed a little light on this for you.

Actually, a little heart-to-heart with his wife might tell you what you need to know, too. Again, good luck with getting this resolved. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm from Stockton, CA. And have lived and partied my way through the foothills. My grandfather established Clements Realty and I used to put up those signs with the little red horses all over he11 and creation years ago.

<font color="blue">I'm from Stockton, CA. And have lived and partied my way through the foothills.</font color>

Guess it's a small world, Brad. Thanks for the info.

Harv
    In regards to him being locked up, the new domestic violence laws are very strict. If he struck her or is a threat, he will be incarcerated for her protection. There have been cases in the past, before the new law, when the arrest could not be made. He or she came back and harmed or killed their significant other. At least it is this way in my neck of the woods. The behavior is consistent with meth or pcp usage, but could be a medical condition. I would talk to the sheriff or the D. A. for particulars before you make a decision. You might inquire if any blood or urine tests were run, this will give you the true story. BTW my knowledge comes from over 28 years in law enforcement.

Thanks for your input, MRB. Your background gives you a pretty good perspective on the case.

I'm still having a little trouble getting the details on the whole thing. I've left messages with the deputy who handled the initial call, but he has yet to call me. I've spoken to the wife several times, and although she's vague on what actually happened, she insists he didn't hit her or hurt her in any way. I think he "restrained" her in such a way that she got really spooked. Guess I should try the D.A., as you suggest.

I really hate to admit it, but the meth thing does fit the puzzle rather nicely. If that's what it was, then he must've been on it for some time without anybody knowing about it. Wish I could talk to the dude myself.

Been hard to deal with the whole thing because of distance and the fact that there are other things going on in our lives right now, not to mention Christmas (and in-laws) coming in a few days. When it rains, pours. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Oh -- and yes, it's been raining cats and dogs, too.

I think you need to take a weekend drive and nose around. I think the law would treat this as a landlord/tenant kind of deal and they might not think they need to share information with you. The wives of my tenants are always vague on deals like this, I had one that blacked her eyes on two separate occations tripping over her kid's bicycle in a dark room. I didn't ask the third time. I kicked them out and someone torched the trailer six hours after they left, go figure.

Whoa! Never had one burn, but many that may as well have. Ever start cleaning up inside with a leaf rake? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Leaf rake cleanups are the easy ones. I've had 'em move out and leave the trailer full to the windows. I got lucky on the torch job. A neighbor saw the flames and put it out before it got inside. The fire department did most of the damage axing off the bottom foot or so of the siding. The phone call at 2:00 AM from the crying girl next door brought tears to my eyes, that girl was scared. The little twerp who moved out ( notice I didn't say he did it, wouldn't want to libel him, would I?) showed up over there the next morning acting like nothing happened, asking them why the windows were open. The chopped siding and burn marks were obvious. Of course our local law enforcement never saw fit to ask him about it. They could have at least pulled him over in his uninspected car ( that would have been their probable cause) when he was leaving the crackhouse with his two year old with him a week or two after it happened.