Thread: Wire feed welder

Wire feed welder

Okay, I've read the threads both here and on TBN for welders, determined my usage (auto body repair, some light fabrication, and farm implement repairs on occasion), and have narrowed it down to three: the Lincoln 135 plus, the Lincoln 3200 HD, and the Hobart 135. All of these run on 120V. I have 240V in my woodshop, but not in the garage where the old truck carcass is resting, and I like the portability of the 120V concept.

I'm confused by the two Lincolns. They appear to have identical specs, yet the 3200 is about $150 less. Can anybody give me any input into what I'm missing? TIA

Pete

Re: Wire feed welder

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The difference may be in the mig gun itself. Look for a TWECO gun [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] , and accept nothing less. If the gun is crap, [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] the welder is crap; [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] if the welder is crap, [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] the jobs turn out to be crap. if the jobs are........ [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] .well, you get the idea. A word of caution.......those 120V machines need a HEALTHY 120V circuit to run on, [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] and most residential wiring systems are too poorly installed to handle one at the high amperage settings. If you are only tack welding body material, you may be OK. You'll notice that 90% of the wall plugs are rated 15A, and that welder wants an honest 20A if it is really working hard. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Thanks, CJDave. I wired the shop myself and have nothing less than 20 amps out there. Had to change the wife's electric range to gas in the process cuz I needed those amps! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I'll check the guns to see if there's any difference

Pete

Another thing that I've noticed on some of the little migs is that there is quite a difference in total overall price when you add in the gas regulator and the stuff that goes with the gas. You need to be sure that whatever you are pricing is complete with regards to being set up for gas........that there are no extras to buy. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

howdy boondox, regarding the mig welder.........i have a lincoln sp100 110v mig........mine required a 30-35 amp 110c circuit. always works great (once i tossed the "flux-core" wire spool in the garbage and got the argon gas).

Can only add that I have the SP-135 plus. Very happy with it's overall performance. It does need 20A input, but you said you solved that problem. Only thing I could think of to check is the hose length for the gas cylinder. The 3200 setup, as is, may only accept (reach) the bottle rack. A new hose and regulator run about $105.00. Small gas bottles are the pits. Always seem to run out when it's the least convenient time. Also, might check your gas supplier to see if there are significant differences in the price or rent of the tanks.