Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should be our budget?

Re: What should be our budget?

>>WOW! I pay little over $2000 ANNUALLY for 10 acres!

Yep, its a killer alright...my original post I wrote last year...now they are over $700 per month.! Just to live here, in a house I already paid for, I need to pay the govt $700 per month for the privilege.

Volunteer fire dept, regional school, 1 FT person police force, my road barely gets plowed, no sewer, no water etc etc. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I know that feeling....we pay over $9k for 16 acres..and thats with the ag exemption.....! The old man across the road from me sold a hundred acres to a developer a few yrs ago and he sold them in 5 acres lots...the empty lots sold @ $275k each and since the developer waited to long to market them, because he had to run utilities, put in a road and such, the whole area lost the ag exemption that the rancher originally had on it. Thus, each of the vacant lots were taxed at $5600 each...some of the buyers are slowly getting their exemption back as they build houses and barns and put horses on the lots....they cant have cattle per the homeowners association, so horses are the best they can hope for!
    Kinda of strange to see this beautiful gated community with 6k-10k sq ft homes behind all of our farms and ranches! Oh well, sure didnt hurt our property values any!

Wow - property taxes are probably one of the only things that aren't killing us here in CA. I pay about $3300 / yr for 10 acres, and that is mostly based on the house, not the land. The law here says that the amount can't be increased until the property is sold (or improvements are done), so that'll be what I pay as long as I'm here.

$700 / month! Wow... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

northren Ct right on and I mean right on the Mass state lines, 20 acres including house is 8800.00 per year tax. We jsut left Holland Ma , highest tax per capita in Mass. 700 a month in western Ma sounds about right. You get absolutely nothing for it, but, it sounds about right after selling in Holland last year.

>>700 a month in western Ma sounds about right. You get absolutely nothing for it, but, it sounds about right ...

Gee, thank makes me feel a whole lot better(not)...I guess if more people didn't have their property tax payment all rolled up into their mortgage payament there actually may be more outrage about this....

Friends of mine moved down to Virginia, and though they live in a house that is much smaller than I would like, they pay only $240/YEAR!...

Anyone know what the schools are like down there?

being clerk of the works, finishing two new bldgs in downtown Holland and today I find out they're asking for over ride number 7. 500,000 this time. Again 99% for the regional school system.. Soem day someone will figure out that throwing money at the schools is not changing a thing. The kids aren't learning fo rthe most part and in fact the regional system has a very high drop out rate. Being that I held most offices in that town one time or another, I understand and know where yu come from. Hollands problem is it is to unstable. Too many moving in from E. Hartford/Worcester,, none want any business, not even a gas station. They expect all the sevices the city offered though. I can get into an all nighter here, but will leave it at this.. It's not a pretty scene and taxes are doubling every third to fourth quarter and less and less services for these hick towns.

You guys need to find a more tax friendly state.
    I pay $244 per YEAR for 77 acres in the beautiful mountains of Northeast Alabama. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> "Too many moving in from E. Hartford/Worcester,, none want any business, not even a gas station. They expect all the sevices the city offered though."</font color>

You hit the nail on the head.
    I took a city planning class back in college. A residential tax base is the worst possible tax base to have for a town. Residents require the most from the school, fire, police, sewage, water systems. It kills me when I see the citizens fight any and all business growth in a town. They can have a bedroom community, they just need to be prepared to pay the required tax rates to maintain it.

$700 a month!!! Oh man, I need to stop complaining about $2600 a year.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You hit the nail on the head.
    I took a city planning class back in college. A residential tax base is the worst possible tax base to have for a town. Residents require the most from the school, fire, police, sewage, water systems. It kills me when I see the citizens fight any and all business growth in a town. They can have a bedroom community, they just need to be prepared to pay the required tax rates to maintain it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work at a large industrial company based in an uppity-up residential community. The town received complaints from people who moved into the new developments about our factory that had been there for years. They had us jumping through hoops doing whatever they wanted, and we sure had to fight every time the company wanted to expand.

Finally, someone realized that we weren't the town eyesore, we were the town's bread and butter. They realized that we were the ones paying $500,000 a year in property taxes, plus all the payroll taxes that were collected from all of the employees.

Every town needs to have a healthy balance of residential, commercial, and industrial areas to be able to support a strong infrastructure and various community programs.