Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hay Equipment

Hay Equipment

Anyone have any experince with the disk mowers and balers from morra?
    Agri supply sells these machines.
    www.Agri-Supply.com

We were talking about the high cost of hay tools in the other thread. Well this is clearly a cheaper option. Also the horse power requirements are lower, as low as 35HP! Thats for the 5ft disc mower, that goes for 3K new. Thats about the cost of a new sickle bar mower without the sickle bar hassel.

The question is what is the quality like?

Fred

Re: Hay Equipment

if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. you get what you pay for. my expierence has been to stay with name brand equipment ( john deere, new holland, kuhn, vermeer, etc..) parts and service are a lot easier to get and these machines have been proven reliable for many years. also beware of claims for low horsepower requirements. a lot of that is sales talk. it is better to have more hp than needed to take care of any special needs like hilly areas . a general rule is to have about 10-15 MORE hp than is required to operate the machine under a load. you will need it!. a lot of small acreage hay cutters i know in this area use a bush hog to cut hay. they remove the left side panel and that lets them cut without chopping up the hay. bush hog cut grass hay also seems to cure faster too. a lot cheaper to buy a bush hog than an expensive disc cutter and there is no plugging as with a sickle mower. be safe!

I agree with haybine. I've seen some of their stuff and I was less than impressed with it. You aren't comparing apples to apples. More like comparing crab apples to a golden delicious.

Cowboydoc, Do you have any experience with an accumlater or balewagon for picking up square bales? Comments & options appreciated.

The accumulator I've used. By balewagon are you talking about a stacker wagon? Picks up the bales on and stacks them and then unloads them in a nice stack. If so this is what I prefer. The accumulator works good too but it's more work. You can't beat a good hay stacker.

The stacker wagon is our preference also. We are looking for a used towed wagon versus a self propelled ($$) model. They are not real common here. Any preference on brand? Since I'm about to build a hay barn (roof only, no sides, clear span) what interior height should I be designing it to be given the possible use of a stacker wagon?

No doubt New Holland has the best stacker wagons hands down. For inside stacking you are looking at alot of room. To be honest I've never stacked hay inside with one. I stack it outside and then tarp it. I would think that you would need at least 20' of clearance but I'm not sure there. If you're just building a hay shed I would go as high as your budget allows.

Tow or self-propelled they both work well. The tow one you aren't going to be able to move around as well, but still beats the heck out of the alternative [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

About the only place you are going to be able to find one is out west. Once in awhile I see one go for auction but it is rare and they are usually wore out pretty bad.

Thanks, we'll keep looking. The hay barn will be around 6,000 sq ft. We've got 60+ acres in coastal that we are improving plus one 25 acre field that we will sprig next year for pasture/haying. It's currently planted in rye, oats and wheat to improve the soil. It is amazing how much difference liming all the fields 10 days ago has already made, even this late in the year. Good rain lately has helped too.

What does a hay wagon cost new? The plain old, tow behind type.

For a junk one around here they go for $200-300 at auctions. For a good one you're looking at $750-1500 and that's 10-20 years old. Most of mine I've made by buying a worn out grain box on a good running gear and building a bed for it. I have $500 - 1000 in mine and I have six of them.