Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Having trouble making good rabbet

Re: Having trouble making good rabbet

Hazmat,
    Another item you may want to make is a good push stick. That will assure you keep your digits in their proper sequence. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Another item you may want to make is a good push stick. </font color>

Believe it or not the new saw came with one [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Didn't come with a blade though [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] , had to make another trip to woodworkers warehouse [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

no blade ... excellent time to shop fo rthe best ... Forrester. Ultra-expensive but worth it.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

<font color="blue">Ultra-expensive</font color>

Wingnut,

Expensive, that's the magic word. Especially when combined with adjectives such as kinda, very, extremely or ULTRA!

I bought a 50 tooth Freud combination blade that was on sale for $30. Cuts pretty well to my rookie eye. I figure I will step up to specific Rip / crosscut / panel blades if I ever start to build furniture &amp; keep the combo for the rough work. For today's home improvement projects, a little caulk will hide any saw marks that might appear.
    Hazmat

<font color="blue">"a little caulk will hide any saw marks that might appear."</font color>

Spoken like a true remodeler [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">"a little caulk will hide any saw marks that might appear."

Spoken like a true remodeler </font color>

Can't say how glad I am that the Mrs. prefers painted white trim to stained wood!
    Hazmat

<font color="blue"> a little caulk will hide any saw marks that might appear. </font color>

Another way to cheat is to fill the marks with some joint compound and sand it lightly. It dries hard and gives you a more paintable surface than caulk.

<font color="blue"> a little caulk will hide any saw marks that might appear. </font color>

That's why Trim Carpenters and Dr.s are so much alike.......they both bury their mistakes!!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well I cheated [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] . I was telling a buddy at work about my woes and he loaned me his dado blade.

Used the featherboard to keep the stock pressed evenly against the table. All in all it came out great! Only screwed up once piece, but that was ripping it to width, not the rabbet.

Had the wife help guide the longer pieces. Made a ton of sawdust, shouldn't be too hard to convince her of the need for a dust collector [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . In the meantime I'll remember to put the dust mask on.
    Hazmat

Is your fence all metal? If you haven't already, you should mount (screw) a nice straight piece of wood to the metal, to be your working fence face.