Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble making good rabbet

Re: Having trouble making good rabbet

Fence is all metal.

I clamped a piece of wood to it for the rabbet.

Any recommendations as to what wood to use? Hardwood or maybe MDF (supposed to be very stable) or even plastic? Do I laminate the fence for less friction?

The fence is a rectangular aluminum extrusion. I don't want to bolt all the way thru it as this will compress the center of the tube & distort it. Should I tap the aluminum & use a counter bored or counter sunk screw thru the wood into the aluminum? Or make a relief hole on the other side of the fence and screw thru the fence into the wood?

Wish I had a drill press to make a nice perpendicular hole.

Now I'll have to figure out how to adjust the fence indicator so that it reads the right measurement when the fence gets wider. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

<font color="purple"> Any recommendations as to what wood to use? Hardwood or maybe MDF </font color>

I always used good straight-grained birch, well oiled with kerosene and oil.

But your fence poses some problems with simply bolting the wood on, being the extruded aluminum and I believe a bit wider (more space inside) than the Unisaws I am used to. Ours had steel fences with holes already in them for this purpose. Using a flat-head wood screw, you could get enough tension with the flat head trying to wedge itself into the hole without applying too much collapsing force. I suppose you could double-nut a bolt, pulling it up tight without collapsing, and then using a second nut to keep it from backing off.

You might be better off simply clamping a piece on for occasional up close work. Perhaps someone else has ideas for these aluminum fences.

<font color="purple"> Now I'll have to figure out how to adjust the fence indicator so that it reads the right measurement when the fence gets wider </font color>

Say what!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Your folding zig-zag rule should always be on hand for these setups, measuring right between the fence and the blade. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Say what!! Your folding zig-zag rule should always be on hand for these setups, measuring right between the fence and the blade </font color>

But it is dead nuts on right now! set it a 6", the wood comes out at 6"! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

OK, maybe they're better than they used to be [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We had so many "home made" things, fences, tables, etc., and were constantly measuring stuff while cutting and building, that that's the only method we used. First thing I always wore out in a pair of jeans for work was the bottom of the back pocket, where the rule lived. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I got tired of fighting with mine all the time .... it was always getting out of true ....s o last year I bit the bullet and bought a new fence system. Now I have an accurate fence and a long extension!
    I found using MDF (which I used for the extension bed) for the sacrificial fence worked well. I find most of the hardwoods move (warp) too much in an unheated shop.
    Although I also keep my rule(s) close at hand, setting the fence for the additional sacrificial depth was a breeze.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Make a saddle for your fence. Make it so it will slip right on. It should fit snug.
    See attachment.

Jim

Jim,

I like it! Might add a tab on the front that catches the fence to keep it from moving as I rip a board.

Got to hurry up these home improvement projects so I'll have time to soup up the table saw. Tractor is also feeling very neglected. I think she'll be happy when the white stuff starts to fall.
    Hazmat

Jim,
    Very good idea!, as it eliminates the problems of clamps being in the way for temporary fences.

wingnut (and hazmat), MDF sounds like the best material for a home shop fence. Unfortunately, my first recollections and biases are jaded from working in a shop where I could pick out a nice piece of birch for a fence...straight-grained birch is almost an oxymoron...but when you several hundred bd ft to pick from...well. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]...and of course we never had to deal with an unheated shop, either, so my opinions are colored by unusual experience (though I never had problems with the birch "moving" in super heated, humid MD summers).

I'll be looking to implementing these excellent suggestions when I set up my home shop.

<font color="blue">I'll be looking to implementing these excellent suggestions when I set up my home shop </font color>

When do we put our orders in for furniture?
    Hazmat

<font color="purple"> When do we put our orders in for furniture? </font color>

That's very kind [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] but I could only refer you to your own thread,
    Woodworking: for Love or Money?

I swear, I cannot see how our shop ever made any money on furniture or other fancy millwork items. But...those things probably did bring in lots of bread and butter work.