Thread: Aerating the lawn with sprinkler system?

Aerating the lawn with sprinkler system?

We have a sprinkler system and some places due to rock and ledge the feed lines are close to the surface - maybe 2".

I am looking (wife's suggestion) to aerate the lawn but concerned about damaging the heads and putting holes in the lines [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

Whats the depth of the normal aerators used, and what should the depth be to get any benefit from this?

I am not for doing this at all but the master gardener (and significant other) thinks it needs to be done.

Carl

Re: Aerating the lawn with sprinkler system?

Carl,

Here is a link regarding aerating KSU (pdf)

As far as benifit, the deeper the better. You are best off to try to map your lines & go around them. Be sure to mark the heads too. Most landscape pros make you sign a release that they are not responisble for sprinkler damage.

The master gardener is right, it is one of the best things you can do for your lawn.

Hazmat

Thanks for the info - sort of what I suspected 3" is the depth that is recommended in the writeup.

I know where the main lines are (under pressure) but the distributed network of pipes for the individual heads are all over the place [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] So I could just avoid the main line and hope for the best with the rest.

If I had it to do all over again I would either put more topsoil down to insure this is prevented, or not have a sprinkler system at all.

The other downside of this is when planting trees and shrubs in the lawn area I have to dig these holes by hand [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] since the BH is faster but the time to fix the lines makes for a longer project.

<font color="blue"> but the distributed network of pipes for the individual heads are all over the place </font color>

Normally I'd say turn the system on &amp; mark the heads that way. You may have already winterized as it is getting cold now. The heads may pop up if you blow the lines out with air again allowing you to mark them &amp; stay dry [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Connect the dots for an approximation of where the dist. lines are.
    Hazmat

I do all the maintenance on the system except for blowing out the lines for the winter as it takes a big compressor. I understand how I can estimate where the lines are - thats a good idea to flag the area. I wish now I had taken photos after the installation showing where the grass was disturbed - it would be a big help now!!

<font color="blue"> I do all the maintenance on the system except for blowing out the lines for the winter as it takes a big compressor</font color>

My dad uses his craftsman single stage oil-less 5HP (yeah right) compressor to blow his lines out. I think he does it one zone at a time with good success. Don't know what you've got in the shop for a compressor. $10 in fittings might save you the annual service call.
    Hazmat

I've have the Emglo portable commercial twin tanks 3 HP I think. Made for roofing and construction. What I need to do is get a larger tank for storage of the air since it's volume and pressure that I need to blow out the lines.

Even one zone at time its a lot of volume since there are typ 5 heads @ 1.5GPM so need something like 20CFM to do the job.

I might try that thise weekend just for fun and see if it works.

Carl