Thread: Standing Seam Metal Roof

Standing Seam Metal Roof

Anyone ever use standing seam style metal roofing? I've put up agricultural style metal roofing on barns and shingles on houses, but haven't used standing seam yet. I am thinking of using the standing seam style on my house next year. The standing seam roofing I am considering is the snap together, not the Terne style.

My biggest concern is the best way to flash the roof against a brick wall and around three brick chimneys. Also, are there any tricks to be aware of on the valleys?

Re: Standing Seam Metal Roof

The advantage of standing seam roofing is that it connects to the roof structure with clips designed to fit within the seams themselves. The seams snap together so there are no fasteners that need to be drilled through the panels themselves. Be sure that you get a thermal break in the panel clips to avoid any possibility of condensation forming below a single piece clip.

As with most roofs, flashing is the make or break part of the system.

To properly flash against brick a reglet (groove) should be cut into the brick or into the mortar line. A bent piece of flashing will be installed and sealed within this groove. This flashing will overlap another piece of flashing that has been installed below the panels and bent upward against the brick and below the top flashing. The 2 flashings don't need to be attached together to allow thermal expansion of all the materials.
    Valley flashing is installed prior to the panel installation and should extend about 12" under all adjacent panels.
    Look on the internet for Fry Reglets - I think they may provide some installation details.
    Nick