Thread: "Box elder bugs"

\"Box elder bugs\"

Besides having problems with Lady bugs I have a problem with "Box elder bugs" not sure if that is what they are but in spring and fall they cover the part of the house that is in the sun. They are black with an orange spot on their back when they open their wings.
    Have tried everything to get rid of them. Yesterday they had to be thousands of them. Temp was back up in 70"s.
    Anyone else have them?

Re: \"Box elder bugs\"

Oh yeah i have them. Ladybugs and Boxelder. Niether will hurt the integrity of your house. They are just there is all. In the spring i have millions of lady bugs in my barn. The walls must be full of both bugs...but oh well. I aint gonna kill them off. I bee bomb my barn every spring and throught the summer and it dont seem to stop the box elder's or lady bugs.
    Larry

We have them too. Came out about a month ago when it was still warm and now they are trying to get into the house (and succeed). We are in upstate NY. People down the road have them too. Haven't found anything to get rid of them yet. Probably have to start at the beginning of their cycle (next year).
    Pete

I was mowing the lawn for the last time 2 weeks ago. I have 4 Northern Catalpa trees in the front yard and some of the branches were hanging lower than the ROPS. I've got to trim these branches anyway and I was anxious to finish mowing, so I just ducked and mowed through. I got showered with thousands of little pink and black beetles. I did a search and found something about "Coleomegilla Maculata" or Pink Spotted Lady Beetle. They actually sell them here in Quebec to control potato beetles, green peach aphids, and European corn borers.

Those critters were in this area last year in full force. Not nearly as bad this year. The best way to get rid of them is a shop vac. If you squish them they smell awful.

They'll also pinch the fire out of you too. I don't know exactly how they do it but one got me and they have got few friends too.

They look like lady bugs but are not, but are some kinda beetle according to folks around here.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor