Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of gun do you use for Hogs?

Re: What kind of gun do you use for Hogs?

Here are those pictures I promised.
    Mike

Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag 10.5in barrel 240gr factory load. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Not a very big one here but I have bagged a 300# with that ruger. In the S.La. swamps most shots are up close and personal. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I am not even a hunter so when I heard of running hogs with dogs and making the kill with a knife I thought people were pulling the leg of this city guy. That was until my business partner went on a hunt and the local guys did it just that way in South Georgia. It is actually pretty common down that way. Most of the time they have several tracking dogs and a Pit Bull, normally, that wears armor, no kidding, who goes in for the kill. The Pit Bull will clamp on to the hog and the owner will finish the kill with a knife. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Guess my life has been to sheltered but I'll wait for the videotape.

MarkV

OK now you killled them, [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] how do they taste?

<font color="purple"> It is actually pretty common down that way. Most of the time they have several tracking dogs and a Pit Bull </font color>

Mark, I have learned a new dog hunting method, just having moved to AZ. Not hogs as prey, but coyotes. Here in the southwest, ranchers use Greyhounds to track and kill the varmints. Typically, it's 4 dogs and a bitch. The dogs run down and "occupy" the coyote, and the bitch comes in for the throat kill. No armor coating, as the coyotes don't have the teeth the hogs do. I have researched this on the Internet and find using Greyhounds for this goes back centuries. It's what the sighthounds are bred to do...hunt down their game with excellent sight, and speed. The ranchers don't eat the coyotes, but do sell the pelts.

From the pistol side, as I mentioned a .44mag would work well. What would be sweet is one of the late 60's Ruger .44mag semi auto carbines. It looked like a 10/22 with a heavy barrel.

If you wanted something bigger, but still easy to carry, go for a TC Contender. They have some good calibers offered. The 14" barrel with 45-70 would certianly do it. I've fired it on the range. Lots of recoil, but fairly accurate.

My Uncle has a TC Contender with a SSK barrel in .375JDJ. That is a serious weapon. It holds sub 2" groups at 200 yards. It is a .444 Marlin necked down to .375. The folks at JDJ have used it on most African thick skinned animals with good results. I took a few ground hogs at 200+ yards in N. Wyoming. My Uncle has taken ground hog for accuracy, antelope, deer, and elk with it.

Since you already reload, this would be a good one. It's pretty simple to work the brass.

A reasonable calibre for deer works fine. The definition of reasonable is really up in the air though. That's about like asking which color of tractor is best(Farmll Red, in case you were wondering [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

Haven't had the chance to eat any yet, but when I do I'll give you a review. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

45-70 was on the low side for cartridges like that. In orignal loadings, you could go all the way up to 45-120. That would rock you socks. Then, of course, you can move up to the .50's... 50-110, 50-120, 50-140... The 50-140 Sharps put a 473gr bullet moving out pretty good, at about 1580fps. It don't seem like much, but it moved like a freight train.

If I was to buy a rifle strictly for hogs it would be a Marlin Guide in .450. I was gonna send one to my son in Alaska but he didn't stay. Light easy to handle and a big!!! hole in the end of it. Most shots taken at em will be 100 yds. or under.

Mike

Nice round from what I've read. It follows the old rule of big bullet, big holes. Two big holes lets 'em bleed out fast, and if they do run, leaves a good trail.