Thread: livestock trailer

livestock trailer

has anyone ever built a homemade livestock trailer? i am currently building one (4' X 8') and have just gotten the frame finished. next comes the axle. what problems did you have getting the axle square to the frame? did you buy a factory made axle or car axle from a wrecking yard? has anyone had any expierence building an axle? i know this is a lot of questions, but i am new at this and trying to get some information. any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: livestock trailer

I was thinking something along these same lines the other day...but my plan was to buy a heavy duty flat-bed trailer that I could use for other purposes (i.e. pulling my tractors) and on top of that I was thinking about building a container type "box" that I could put on the trailer went I want to move livestock...don't have a lot of livestock I need to move right now, but evertime I do need to get one it is a problem.

Since I need a flat-bed trailer anyway, this seemed like a decent compromise to me. Thoughts?

It isn't super critical that the axle square to the frame. The trailer will just tow a little crooked. If you are doing a tandem axle, then be sure they are parallel.

For ideas on building the axle, visit a trailer dealer & poke around underneath. No sense in re-inventing the wheel (no pun intended).

I think there are some places that sell just the running gear (axle brakes, springs, couplers etc.) for you to attach to your frame.

Good luck!
    Hazmat

I just finished a trailer that would do for livestock. It is 4'9" wide inside by 10' long. It tilts and has sides like a regular utility trailer, but has a set that hinges on the lower sides to create a flatbed. I made it for rv's, but it would be suitable for most anything. I ordered the axle from northern tools. When you build the frame, be sure it is square, when you put the axle and tongue on it everything should be right. I took a stringline and snapped a center line for the tongue so the hitch would be dead center. It pulls perfectly. If you would ike some pics I could post them.

Here are a few links to trailer parts supply companies if you want to build one yourself.

Low Cost Trailer Supplies
    Champion Trailer Parts Supply
    Southwest Wheel
    Redneck Trailer Supplies
    My friends just call me Mad.