Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handheld Power Planes

Re: Handheld Power Planes

I had a Makita power planer that I used extensively when I was trimming houses. I lent it to some one about three years ago and haven't seen it since. Problem is I can't remember who. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I asked around but no ones has it. Someones lieing, and I just can't remember. I'm suffering from the dreaded CRS infliction. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That's okay, I'll be over at someones shop someday and find it. When I do...................
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's probably to late to help, but I use a Stanley router that fits into what looks like a sled that is designed to plane door edges. It adjusts easily and does a great job. The sled has an edge that can be adjusted for the bevel that you want on the edge of the door. The bit is kind of a spiral with 2 cutting edges. The router also fits into a regular base and with a collar and mortising bit I use it to mortise for hinges.

Hey, that sounds like a neat rig. I wonder if it would fit on my Bosh router? Do you have a part or model number?

The door I cut down with the router and a 1/2 inch straight bit worked fine. Nice and smooth. But the ablity to put a bevel on when desired would be nice. Some doors are beveled on the latch edge so you get a nice tight fit in the jamb, but still have swing clearance.

I cut another door tonight with the same setup but had a slight problem...

The straight edge I was using as a guide slipped at the end of the cut, so now the door is 5/16" shorter on the lock side!

Tomorrow I'll straighten the curve and see if it's acceptable.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?