Thread: stones in fill dirt

stones in fill dirt

Are stones, ranging in size from 2" to 6" in dia, good or bad in fill dirt for an area to be poured with concrete? I'm wondering if I should sift though it and get them out or leave them in.

Re: stones in fill dirt

Seems if the stones don't impede you packing the dirt for a base under the concrete, then they shouldn't hurt anything. You want a dense material for a base, and it can't get any denser than stones. But if using a tamper to tamp the fill doesn't work because of the stones, then they are not good to have.

We always take the larger stones out and leave the 6 inch and under in the fill.

Depends on the depth of the rough fill (2-6" stones) because as mentioned if it doesn't pack down, voids will develop in the fill causing settling in the future. I would think that 12" or less properly compacted of the rough fill topped with 3-4" of 3/4" crusher run stone (combination of 3/4 and fines) compacted is the best way to go. Also cutting concrete every 12' to prevent the slab from cracking is preferred.

Well, it sounds like the best thing is to just leave them in, which is what I thought. Thanks!