Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart

AN OPEN LETTER TO MARTHA STEWART

Martha,

I know you like to do things right/well, but 10k for a chicken coop? Even after tax deducting it because you put it on your show, that's STILL 6000 dozen eggs those chicken have to lay to pay for the darn thing. Those will be some pretty pooped chickens by the time you get a payback. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So, just to show you what can be done on a lesser budget, here's a picture of my own $200 (approx.) chicken coop. This way, the chickens only have to lay 200 dozen eggs.

SHF

Re: Martha Stewart

here's another with the trusses going up.

and with the mobile scaffolding being used to put up the roof sheathing.

SHF,

Martha's eggs are worth more is the simple math plus they probably come in designer colors.. TV Promo adverts $150,000, selling the eggs $50. ROI less than a day [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good looking coop you're building BTW, hope you have a good crop.

Carl

I like the scaffolding!

Looks like a well built hen house [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

>>This way, the chickens only have to lay 200 dozen eggs.

I hate it when somone puts down in hard numbers what they payback is gonna be [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...makes you wonder why you grow anything once you figure in the cost of it all...and thats when I consider my labor free! [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

I am gonna go out and squeeze my chickens [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] to get the eggs out faster...

I too love to figure out the "payback" .... SHF, does that cover the cost of materials, or materials and labor ... and how about the ongoing feed costs? And replacement hens?
    I keep telling my wife that her garden is a "labor of love" ... not a cost effective tomato generator.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Funny! Nice looking coop though. Did you make the trusses? Look in the Tractor folder on http://photos.yahoo.com/xteife for an earlier shot of our coop. There are now three windows in the front, which is the side facing the left in the picture.

- Gerald

Actually, it's 200 dozen eggs for the coop. The pen area will cost an additional 100 dozen.

I have a plan though. I intend to hang an axe out there and threaten to kill one hostage a week until I get my eggs. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Think it'll work?

SHF

Gerald,

Yep, I built the trusses. This is actually the second time I've built trusses like this. The first time being another building 8x12 that was used for storage. The only problem is that the trusses are never exactly the same from one to the next, so the roof line doesn't come out exactly straight. Which doesn't matter much since once the siding ages to gray, the building looks like it's been there for a long, long time. I kind of like the look of it, so I decided to match it for the coop.

SHF