Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing a concrete walkway

Replacing a concrete walkway

I have a concrete walkway in the front of the house that is all cracked and busted up, so I need to replace it. It won't take enough concrete to make it worth having it hauled in, so I'm planning on doing it with bags of Quikrete, which they sell at Lowes. The walk is 13' long, 42" wide (it's actually just under 3' wide now, but I want to make it a little wider), and I'm planning on going 4" deep = 15.2 cu ft. One 80lb bag of Quikrete contains 2/3 cu ft, so I figured I will need 23 80lb bags of Quikrete. I'm planning to get 24 bags to make sure I have enough.

What is the correct method for doing this? Can I mix one bag at a time in a wheelbarrow, pour it in, then mix the next bag and pour it in, etc until I'm done? Or, will the first bag start to cure before I get the last bag poured? How much water should I mix with each bag? Will I need to put expansion joints in and if so how far apart and how exactly is that done? I'd rather have it be one continuous piece if I can, so is there a way to do that? I'm willing to make it thicker if need be. This will be used for foot traffic only.

What is the best thing to use to mix the concrete in the wheelbarrow? In the past I've used a hoe for small jobs, but is there something better? I have a trowel, what else will I need?

Re: Replacing a concrete walkway

I can only offer one piece of advice:

At least rent an electric or gas powered mixer! Mixing sakcrete in a wheelbarrow is tough stuff. I mixed four bags one at a time for a tractor counterweight and several times I thought the wheelbarrow was going to tip. Worked up a good sweat too!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I've mixed about 10 bags at one clip and it wasn't pleasant. You'll need at least one other helper so you can begin to work the concrete while another batch is mixing. A good sized rental mixer will handle 8-9 bags at a time. Somthing to think about, 80lb sacks get real heavy real fast. Make sure there's enough help around.
    I'd either rent a mixer, or I'd look for a concrete company that has the special concrete trucks that mix right on site. The truck carries all the materials seperately and only makes exactly what is needed. They aren't available everywhere.

that's a fair amount of concrete to mix by hand ... and to do a good job with .... mixing the wrong strength will give you a sidewalk that'll deteriorate real fast.
    Alternative (depending on where you are in relation to cement companies and current building) ... contact the cement companies and enguire if they're going to be coming in your direction anytime soon and see if they can drop off enough for you.
    Alternative #2 ... check and see if any of the local cement comapnies have the small unit trailers .... they rent them to you to haul a couple of yards ... work great.
    If that doesn't work ... definitely go the rented cement mixer route rather than hand mixing ... and then consider doing the bag/sand/gravel mix to create the proper slump!
    Replacing a sidewalk and watching the new one come apart even faster is a not-good-thing!
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Thanks. I guess I'll forget the idea of mixing it in a wheelbarrow. I'll check into renting a mixer and I'll check to see if any of the local cement companies have the small unit trailers to rent.

This sounds kinda familiar. Went through the same process about a month ago. Didn't have an old sidewalk though - couldn't have proved that when I set the rototiller down and we both went through the yard flying as we were still in the "drought" at that point and the ground was hard. I chose not to go w/ the Quikrete solution as I don't think it cures as nice as your normal Portland cement. My sidewalk was about 15' long and 48" wide. I used 5 94# bags of portland. I had also hauled 2 ton of sand gravel mixture for aggragate. I put down a base of sand. and then my plastic vapor barrier and then my rebar. It was three of us, me, my Dad, and my FIL. Kept 2 wheelbarrows going pretty good. Tooks us about 2 1/2 hours to do the mixing and the pour. First time I had ever done any concrete working other than pouring some in a hole for a pole. Dad hasn't done much and it has been years. FIL little to no experience. Only problem we had was when we went to cut the expansion joints we had waited just a little bit too long to make them. It was too wet when we stopped to eat and we came back and it was starting to cure. I'll include some of my defects [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] . But attached you'll see a picture of it.

A shot of one of my defects. The only problem w/ this job was there wasn't any tools that I "needed" to go buy though. But it has me thinking (probably foolishly) that I can buy a small, possibly used cement mixer, and pour our driveway in sections as I get $ till finished. Wifey just rolls her eyes.....

Another. I guess one of these days I talk to take some of what it looks like now with the forms (2X6) off and backfilled with a little bit of grass.

Here is another shot looking over the walk with my daughter Alex.

Form that walkway up and go get a buggy from a rental yard or concrete yard. Get 5-sack. It is stronger than what you need, but a little overkill won't hurt anything.

I worked a bit with a buddy who has done concrete for years. He had a very low opinion of the sack concrete for anything but fence posts. It just does not seem to be as strong as the mix you get from a truck or the machines at the rental yards.

You can get a truck delivery, whether by regular truck or the mix on site truck. The mix on site trucks work well. Then you only pay for what you need, and unless you are maxxing out thier truck, they have a little extra there if you underestimated your job.

Your job estimates out about 0.6 yards. Get 3/4 yard in a buggy. The mixer buggy/trailers work well, especially if you want to add color. And , at least with 3/4 yard, you won't come up short(bad thing). You can pour the extra into the bottoms of 5gal buckets to make a few concrete stepping stones.

For a 13' walk you should have a couple grooves in it. If you pour it without a groove or two, you would probably be looking at it stress cracking before too long.