Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing a concrete walkway

Re: Replacing a concrete walkway

Thanks for the info. Is a "buggy" the same as the "small unit trailer" mentioned earlier? If not, then what is a "buggy"?

jw...

This has been a good thread as I'm getting ready to do the same kind of project at my place. I've had "temporary" gravel paths to the front and back door since we built the house 4 years ago and my wife is "mentioning" them more and more. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I can't recall the exact dimensions right now but it's about 60' x 24" each for the front and back. I came up with needing 250 60# sacks of quickcrete - or go the route of getting sand and gravel delivered and mixing my own from scratch. I can borrow a mixer from my neighbor.

My concern with getting redi-mix delivered or even using one of the carts is that I'll be working alone and I'm not sure I can place, screed and finish 60' of walkway before it sets up too much to work. Thoughts?

By the way, why did you use a vapor barrier? I nuderstand the importance in a building floor but have not seen them recommended for walkways before.

I won't even confess to being an expert or even a novice. This was my first attempt at finished concrete. I would think 60' would be too much to attempt in one shot. Since with that length you are going to want to have some expansion joints - not just cuts, but I some of the actual black stuff expansion joints anyway I would probably do 3 pours of 20 feet. Rather take me 3 days to it and have it turn out than try to rush and do it in 1 and have it not look as nice - plus you could save a few - I know very few - and reuse some of your forms.

As far as the vapor barrier goes, we were in the middle of a drought (or at least very dry for us), and the ground was dried and solid as a rock. And one of the things from reading here and TBN and talking to folks is don't let the concrete dry to quick. Therefore I didn't want the dry ground sucking the water out of my concrete. Incedently we got rain the night I poured. So far my walk still looks OK. I know it has only been down about 7 weeks and the ground hasn't frozen or anything yet so I'm still waiting. At least it is getting plenty of time to cure.

One more thought, do you think 24" is wide enough? I went 48" inches - suggested for wheelchairs - not that we are in one and hope to never have to be. I would consider going at least 36", espcially if these are the main entrance walks to the house.

Good points.

I was kind of thinking about doing it in multiple pours too but was fumbling in my mind about how to "break" between the pours. Hadn't thought about the expansion joint. That would be a good place. I'm planning to use one of those cobble-stone shaped forms to "stamp" some texture into the surface. This will create the relief cuts and texture instead of using a trowel and broom like you did. My walkways are going to kind of take a winding path rather than be straight. I'll be using 6" wide strips of 3/8" plywood as my forms instead of 2-by's.

Now I've got the picture on your vapor barrier. Good point - you wouldn't want bone dry earth to suck the moisture out of your pour any more than you'd want a hot sun to do it. Same concept as putting a plastic sheet over the top to slow down drying...

Main reason I was thinking 24" wide is because that's how wide the "temporary" gravel paths have been for the last four years. 36" would probably be a more comfortable walkway.

Yes, we called the small trailers "buggies". I do not know why though. I have heard a number of concrete guys refer to them that way.

I would try to get some help and pour it all at once. One truck delivery would make a lot of work for a day. But, then you have it done. Also, from batch to batch you may see some color difference.

You may want to think about troweling in some color where you stamp in the "cobbles" that would look really cool!

Your idea for the curve is great. It adds a nice touch. Be sure to use plenty of stakes though, and backfill your forms. That thin plywood will bulge out on you if it is not VERY secure.