Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acorns!

Acorns!

Acorns do not techincally fall under crops unless you use the term "crop of acorns" so I will post under this forum.

Has anyone else noticed what a bumper crop of acorns there is this year? I have not paid too much mind to all acorns but have specifically noticed the white oak acorn crop is more than I can ever remember seeing.

I was visiting family in south Ark. last weekend and saw more white oak acorns than a herd of deer could eat lying under one huge old white oak tree in the back yard. There were so many acorns on the ground that it looked like a dump truck had dumped a load of them under the tree. I also noticed that every white oak tree in the woods was also depositing an abundance of acorns on the ground. In years past it seems that certain white oaks would produce acorns on a regular basis but the majority of them never ever had any acorns. This year seems to be the exception. Every tree in the woods has acorns lying on the ground underneath them and there is a constant sound of acorns falling to the ground no matter where I go. It is plumb dangerous to stand under the oak in the backyard right now... might get conked on the head with a big ol' acorn at any time.

I guess I really notice the white oak acorn crop every year because where there are white oak acorns there is a good chance you will find deer there too. Not so this year! There are so many acorns that the deer have not been able to keep them cleaned up off the ground. Are the acorns as plenitful in other parts of the country as they are in south Ark. or is this a local thing?
    Chris

Re: Acorns!

Central MD, which I just left, also has an abundance, many more than the deer can keep up with. Going out under the tree to BBQ, I couldn't even find a level spot of ground to set down my adult beverage [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've never seen a year like it.. I'm having to keep my horses stalled to keep them from gorging on the things and making themselves sick.

I remember back in the early 60's that my grandfather had about a dozen 150 year old oaks cut down in his grove. My uncle told me he had them cut because they were producing too many acorns and that acorns were bad for his cows. I don't remember if he said it would kill them or just make them sick but apparently cows and acorns don't mix either.

Chris

Tis true. They put a hurting on cows. We had one get awful sick and she nearly died because of the acorns. It was the worst case of the runs I'd ever seen ... She sparyed the poo poo by the gallons for several days.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

There were so many acorns in the woods where I hunt that I hardly saw a deer in ten days of hunting earlier this month. I saw plenty of deer sign in the woods but I guess the abundance of acorns has allowed them to minimize their movement in search of food. Sooo, no deer for me this year. Even so, I am glad for the deers' sake that there is a good food crop for them this fall.
    Chris

A big Pin Oak near the building site for our new house has a bumper crop of acorns. The gravel drive that goes under its extended branches looks to be paved with acorns. Haven't noticed unusually heavy acorn development for the red oak, or any of the brushy oaks (post oak, jack oak whatever, I'm no arborist) The pin oak has an interesting feature. It has a stub branch, cut off years ago. The branch is hollow and is split in half horizontally for the last 8-10 inches. This forms a condo with a sun deck for a squirrel. Now if I could only get the red squirrels to eat the acorns and leave my pecans alone...

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:
    Squirrels have a great sense of taste. They also like good things to eat.
    My problems are with falling red oak acorns always landing in my beverage container.

Egon

Do you reckon the squirrels prefer your pecans over acorns? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] My uncle has a huge pecan tree in his yard and the squirrels must have it cleaned out. Back in Oct. you could see them all over the tree and hear pecans dropping on the tin roof of his old garage, dislodged by their eating and jumping about. But by Nov. they were nowhere to be found around that tree.

While sitting on a deer stand one morning last week I watched a cat squirrel collect and bury acorns for about two hours. He would scurry up the top of a 50 ft oak and collect some acorns, scramble back down the side of the tree, race across the ground in front of me and disappear for a few seconds. Then he would return and repeat the process. It occurred to me that while he was an industrious little fellow he was certainly not very smart. Seems to me that he would have climbed the tree once and knocked down a few dozen acorns and collect them from the ground to bury them. Maybe he was just working up an appetite for breakfast? [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Chris

Chris, I think maybe you are right. The squirrels might prefer pecans to acorns. Alternatively, there are SO MANY acorns they can't make a dent in the supply...

OK, I'll bite, what is a cat squirrel? I am familiar with a few names: red, grey, fox, Kaibab.

Although the squirrel you watched might not be an efficiency expert at gathering acorns, their memory is less than perfect and they frequently do not recover several of their "stash." This results in their accidently planting oak trees. Jay birds help plant trees as well.

Some of the descendants of some of the earlier immigrants to this continent (AKA native Americans/Indians) used to eat a lot of acorns. Took lots of prep and isn't exactly mouth watering yummy to my taster but I guess if you are hard pressed to feed your face you aren't so fussy.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"