Thread: too late for grass seed ?

too late for grass seed ?

howdy gang.........i am from southeast michigan and i just finished regrading my front yard. it is now nov 1st. we have had 1st frost already. is it too late to put down grass seed this year? will it start growing at all ? or will it be ok just to lay in the topsoil to sprout in the spring.
    thanks.

Re: too late for grass seed ?

I asked a similar question a while ago (see planting grass in the late fall). Based on the answers I got there and some asking around at local landscaping companies, once it starts getting below freezing, even if just at night, it's too late. A friend tried it once and birds ate the seeds before they started growing. Seeds need warm temps to germinate. So, since we're getting an early dose of winter weather here in southern Indiana (although not quite as cold as you folks up north!), I'm going to wait until early spring to seed the grass.

I was told that sod can be put down even if it freezes at night, but not if it gets real cold, like in the mid 20's.

You can broadcast cool season grass seed (perrenial rye, fescue, bluegrass) even on top of snow. Wait until it starts snowing - that way the birds don't get a chance at it. This method is not as reliable as planting in season, however. If you have an early spring and the seeds germinate - the seedlings can be killed by a late season frost.

thanks for the advice guys. i think i will "take my chances" and throw down my 60lbs of grass seed on my "postage stamp" sized yard. will also cover it up with straw.......i know my neighbors are tired of looking at my "brown" colored front yard.......hahaha

bob from mich.....(land of too many taxes).