Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MIG Welder Help

MIG Welder Help

I'm looking for a MIG that I can use on 110v, with at least a 20% duty cycle at 75-100 amps for light duty use. I've got a stick welder and ox-ac setup that I can do heavier stuff and cutting with, but I'd like something for the thinner gauge materials.
    Cost is very much an issue and I plan on being able to use it not only inside but also with my portable generator for things that I cannot move into the shop. The generator's rated for 6500w running/7200 peak.
    I'm not so sure that I really need gas capabilities with the MIG - I "think" that flux-core or regular steel wire should suffice for most of my welding needs.
    Any and all advice is appreciated!
    Nick

Re: MIG Welder Help

I got a little Lincoln 110 model (110 volt too) used with a small bottle for $300.00. Has been a good little welder. For outside use I would recommend going with the fluxcore wire. It is also one of the easiest wires to weld with (not that any mig is hard). Outside, the wind tends to blow the shielding gas off the weld area. You can't use plain steel wire without a shielding gas, makes a really pitted out weld (worthless). The fluxcore weld is a little more work to paint because of cleanup on the weld.
    With your torch you can push the limits of a little machine by preheating the weld area. I wouldn't try to push it much tho. Pay attention to the type of wire. Some wire can be used for mutiple passes and some can't (or shouldn't be).

Gary

Oh yeah, your gen set should run any 110 volt machine. You probably have about 25-30 amps @ 110 on each leg of your generater. I have noticed that the gen set is not as smooth a power source as the electric co. Works fine, but you can tell a difference in the arc. My guess is the constantly varying load of a welding arc keeps the gen set hunting to maintain the voltage. Depending on the type of gen set be sure to try to balance the load on the generator, ie pull 20 amps off both legs of the 110. A 220 welding machine would do this for you.

Gary

Thanks Gary.
    Good info on the wire feed too. I'm heading down to my local welding supply place to see what they have to offer [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Nick

I use a Lincoln Weld Pak 100 (120 vac) and it has done a great job. I have abused the heck out of it for 3-4 years now I think it has been and it just keeps on welding. I bought all the accessories including regulaltor except the gas bottle but have been so pleased with the results haven't gone the extra mile. One day I hope to try stainless and aluminum which will require an inert gas.

I run mine off a 6000 watt genny just fine and under certain conditions the genny regulation is not so great but satisfactory. I have a Lincoln AC DC stick welder on a wheeled cart but it is still a portable hernia and I ony use it when I really need to turn up the heat. at 1/4 inch or less with mild steel I just use the wire feed unless there is a real good reason to use the stick (special rod or something).

There are a lot of cheaper units on the market (I didn't want to take a chance on a cheapie and have to do it twice) but I don't know what you would have to do to get a better unit that the Lincoln.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:
    You mention that you use the Lincoln Pak 100 for 1/4 and less welding. Most mention that you can only do 1/8 or less with this small unit. Do you end up making more than one pass on the 1/4 weld?
    PJ

PJ, Not every 1/4 inch welding task is right for the Weld Pak 100 but many are with proper multi-pass techniques as needed(see standard text on welding). It helps to bevel edges and make other accomodations. Don't expect to run a bead across a large 1/4 inch plate at warp factor 3 (StarTrek ref not welding ref) and get 100% penetration.

It is worth it to me to take the time for some grinding prep work and multi-passes and do the deed with this Little Lincoln Lunchbox and not have to deal with the significantly heavier stick welder for which I don't have sufficient genny capacity to use at higher amp settings. This refers to FIELD repairs away from the truck.

Although I have a 100 ft extension cord of sufficient ampacity to run my 250 volt 50 amp (input) stick machine, the genny can't deliver enough more juice to make the stick do much better than the lunchbox so I just tote the lil box into the difficult (challenging terrain) locations and run a long (but heavy duty) 120 vac ext cord to it. I can usually get within my ext cord of where I want to go with the genny. I guess I could put larger tires under the genny but it still isn't easy going up and down steep dams and such.

On occasion this has failed me, like when welding a heavy wall 6 inch diameter steel drain pipe with water flowing in it. Holy pin hole city, Bat Man! Luckily I didn't need to get a pressure tight repair.

The ball is a little cloudy yet but I think I can see a combination engine driven welder and emergency generator in my future. I have a jib crane with electric chain hoist so loading and unloading into the truck isn't a big deal should I need it afield.

By the way, did I mention how convenient the Lincoln WeldPak 100 is when you have to pack it in to a remote location?

Patrick

Thanks Pat:
    I would rather go with the 135-type mig welder if possible but understand the merits of the 175.
    Seems so much easier to be able to hook up to a 120 circuit, which is readily available. Making multiple passes is no problem with 1/4 steel plate as most of my work will be in one inch square tubing.
    PJ

All good replies, so I won't embelish on the content much.

Only advice I have is to not make the mistake I made: Buy a name brand rig, not a mongrel brand from the discount stores. I bought a mongrel and they are out of business and I really cannot get nozzles or internal parts for it any more. It still works ok, but it is basic junk. Has a duty cycle of about one minute at max amperage. I am looking at the Lincoln 135 and 175 as next year's new toy.

One last thing - the new Optrel helmets are really great. I just picked one up on sale at about $300, but worth every penny. I can just dial in the darkness setting from 5 to 13. But, most important, I can actually see exactly where I am starting my arc! It is improved my amateur welding 200%. I couldn't see anything before, and when I flipped down my helmet I didn't know where my right hand was in relation to the work piece. It changes shade from clear to dark in about 1/10,000 of a second. I have a Lincoln AC/DC stick machine that I am very pleased with, so I intend to stick with Lincoln for my future new MIG machine.

PJ, Few folks complain that their tractor is too powerful and gets the work done too fast. Similarly, all the power you NEED is good when welding. If I had my druthers, my wire feed would be more powerful but in the words of Chief Engineer Scott, "I cannow change the laws of physics!" More power in a commercially available unit implies 240 volt input which is not convenient for me as I use the Linclon Lunchbox as a hand carried portable tool where 240 is a nuisance or not available.

Maybe what we need is a riding lawnmower/welder conversion. The lawnmower engine coud drive the welder generator and you wouldn't have to lug any heavy stuff or drag out and put away realy heavy extension cords.

Maybe an engine driven welder could provide the electricity to run an electrically powered mower frame/body (forget the blades) or an electric golf cart. A self propelled hybrid electric/internal combustion 4 wheeler/welder! Should be powerful enough to carry your oxy-acetylene stuff, grinders, vise, sazall, etc. as well as a good 240 volt MIG and a solid state cooler/warmer for drinks/food. A surrey top with removable side and back covers and a wind shield would be nice. And W I D E tires. For emergency power production you just park it near the tie in connection point and plug it in.

Patrick