Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MIG Welder Help

Re: MIG Welder Help

That would be one nice "rancher/farmer" golf cart!!!

Gary

Thanks for the additional info. Pat, you have noted something that is of importance to me - having a mig that can be used with a generator if needed. Most of the stuff around I think is in the 1/8" to 1/4" thickness, and I will have the stick welder for any heavier repairs that would be done in the shop. Most of the time the mig would also be in the shop, but I like having the capability of taking the welder out of the shop if needed. Multiple passes on heavier steel aren't really a problem.
    That Lincoln lunchbox I think would fit the bill as a reasonably priced good quality 110/120v unit. I guess I would also compare Miller and Hobart units too, but I'm inclined to look at the best price on a Lincoln. Maybe times have changed, but the Lincoln stick welder that I've got is about a hundred years old and other than adding some new welding leads years ago has handled everything I've thrown at it. I hope they are still building them the same way!
    Nick

Hi Chevdog

I can't really make any comment because our power supply is very different but i would recommend you to go to the biggest mig you can afford, because after useing it, you will never want to weld with a stick again or should i say noah's ark [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    made in Korea Vin

daedong,
    It neat to see someone from so far away on the site. Is there a talk forum called downunderbynet.com you can invite us to? Welcome to the site here. Ya got any pics of your area to share in the photo area here?
    Thanks for comming, Larry [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi lbliar

I will post some photos on CBN soon, I also intend to put some pages on my website about my district and Australia in general. http://stonevahestate.tripod.com
    made in Korea Vin

I think you're right - I've decided to hold off a bit and get something a little better than a homeowner grade, but less than needed to weld a bridge [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Very nice website you've got - your place looks beautiful.
    Nick

Chevdog

I have a SIP MIG 175 amp,which i have had for 5years. I don't know if you can get SIP brand stuff their. It's made in italy sold here cheap compared to other brands, for occasional use i think their products to be good value.
    made in Korea Vin

I'll check that out - thanks.
    Nick

Chevdog -- After trying a few small home/hobby units (Lincoln 135T and 135 Plus, and the Millermatic 135), I settled on the Miller. It was essentially the same as the 135 Plus, but included a very well made cart for the same price. Besides, I like blue!

I had already purchased but not yet used a Lincoln 3200HD from Home Depot, which was nearly a clone of the 135T in that the duty cycles were the same and both were stepped units. My local welding shop let me try the T on a variety of metals, and the ability to tweak the power to find the sweet spot for each application was a selling point for continuous voltage adjustment.

This was my first stab at MIG, and I was very pleasantly surprised at how little spatter there was! I have some metal deck plate that I'll mount to the top of a metal barrel to make a small welding platform. Now if I can just find the barrel!

When I get beyond the practice stage I'll post some pics of my learning curve. Pete

I've been using a Miller welder in my ARC welding class and like it real well. The unit I'll be using as mine is a Hobart 175 (also with a neat little cart). I got it a while ago but, since I don't know how to use it, have left it in the box.

Anyone else have one of these or have any experience with them? I'm still a ways away from needing mine as I'm just finishing up my ARC welding class but was curious, anyhow. Thanks! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]