Thread: How to get well shaped pumpkins

How to get well shaped pumpkins

I've tried to grow pumpkins every year for a long time and I always have the same problem - they end up flat on one side. I've seen pumpkins in stores and they are much more rounded. This year I planned to try to stand them upright when they were softball sized. But, that didn't work. The vines had sent out those little "grabbers" that hooked on to weeds and went into the dirt, so I couldn't really move the vine and I broke a vine trying to lift up a pumpkin, so I just left the rest alone. Anyone else have this problem and know of a solution?

Re: How to get well shaped pumpkins

Danny,

If I recall correctly, the Japanese have experimented with square produce. (Tomatos, melons, etc). The method they use, I believe, is to place the developing veggie into a strong, collapsable box. The melon will then grow into the shape of the box and the box can be removed.

Might be kinda fun to try.

SHF

I grow wholesale here in MA , shape,size,and color of the pumpkins for the most part is from the type of pumpkin you grown , for example , Conn. Field are a tall oval of fair color , Howdens are more rounder and deeper color , the hybrid types go for space sazing , shape , or special color (like white), .........
    Bill G.

When the vine flowers place the open end of the flower straight down. This puts the stem of the fruit facing straight up. Too cumbersome for a commercial grower, but great for the home gardener.

I guess that makes sense, but I'm confused about something. As the pumpkin gets bigger it will raise up higher, which means the vine would have to be lifted off the ground. But, I've noticed that vines tend to attach themselves to the ground with those little "fingers" that go into the ground or grab onto chuncks of dirt or whatever else they can get a hold of, so the vine can't raise up.