Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propane & Range

Propane & Range

We're finally getting settled in our new house and everything is working just fine... except: The gas range is a bit of a disappointment. I knew ahead of time that propane doesn't have the BTUs as natural gas but this is rediculous. The range is brand new, and was rejetted by the plumber. Only the big "Power Burner" will even boil water. And that takes forever. The other three burners have trouble heating soup. The range manual calls for different jet kits for different BTU propane and I can't tell which jets are in. I have a call in to the Propane company but would appreciate any advice from the community. BTW, we have a propane range in our camper and it seems to heat better than this [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Rob

Re: Propane & Range

Rob:
    Propane has way more BTU's than natural gas and takes a smaller orfice jet.
    Is your regulator opening properly or can there be some blockage in the line or perhaps a kink in the line?
    Nother silly question, are all the valves fully open and the tank full?

Egon

<font color="blue"> are all the valves fully open and the tank full </font color>

I did check those things and all is well. The heat, hot water and dryer all seem to work just fine, only the range. Hope to hear from the propane company today [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

<font color="blue">The heat, hot water and dryer all seem to work just fine, only the range.
    </font color> Seems to me like talking to the propane people is a waste of time .... looks more like you need to talk to the manufacturer about the stove. Unless you're using different propane for the range??? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

You may want to talk to the plumber who rejetted the range.

Good luck!

Sounds like a regulator problem to me. Mine has frozen on me before, but it has to be that "special" kind of cold we get up here (freakin' freezing).

Sorry but I think y'all are working the problem backwards...

Have you checked the line for kinks and or restrictions (trash). If you have then you have restriction in your stove and should call the warranty person if the stove is still under warranty since the plumber did modifications to it. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Finally heard back from the propane service tech last night. He's supposed to come out today. He said there are a lot of steps to the propane conversion and if any were skipped or not done in order it could cause a problem.

The biggest reason I contacted the propane company first instead of the range manufacturer or the plumber was trust. I met the service tech when he installed our propane and he struck me as a very knowledgable, sincere guy. He said to give him a call if we had any problems, so I did.

Further details tonight [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I just hooked up our propane the other day and the regulator may be your problem. There is a plastic insert that has to be reversed to change from natural gas to propane. That is sometimes forgotten. If it is then you are getting to much gas and not enough air in the burner. The top of the flame will be white instead of a uniform blue color.

Restrictions maybe the problem but I doubt that it is the unit itself. These are simple systems.

Well, I am happy to report a happy ending to this little problem. The propane service tech was out yesterday and found the regulator not set right and two of the burner jets swapped. He also checked the oven and broiler for us. All is well now and I'll just forward his bill on to our builder. Thanks to all for the suggestions, and happy cooking [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob