Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Propane & Range

Re: Propane & Range

Glad it all worked out. I will be having propane in my new house, and was hoping the stove worked as well as the gas stove I am used to.
    Paul Bradway

Good to hear that you have the problem solved. I bet the builder will be real happy with his man.

We love our propane cook top after having electric for the last fourteen years.

Do any of you who have Propane ranges have the same problem we have? Black soot on the outside of our pots and pans. Both the stove manufacutrer and the propane company have checked the range and say "it's within spec" but we still get black soot. We have the Circulon dark grey metal cookware.

If you have used the pans on another stove with no problem then it has to be the stove. If the pans are new too, try some other pans and see what happens. I am not familiar with your pans but I would say that you do not have complete combustion. There may not be enough air in the mix. This does happen when the regulator is not set for propane or just is not functioning correctly. If the regulator was not changed from the natural gas configuration to propane then you would be have too much propane and not enough air.

Also the wrong jets can cause the problem too but my money is always on the regulator. When you say the stove manufacturer has checked the stove, do you mean that they sent a local repairman? What did the service guys do to come to the conclusion that it was operating within limits? I had a rental that we had a new propane stove installed by a large national chain. The tenant complained that the stove was not working well. The chain sent a repair man who said it is a cheap stove what do you expect and left. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] The tenant called me and wanted a better stove. I went over and checked out the unit. The regulator had not been converted to propane. It took me five minutes to fix and the stove fired up and was fine. It still is in that rental unit after ten years and working well. You know I had a little talk with the man in charge of service for the chain. I even got a hundred dollar credit at the store for my trouble. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If this was my unit, I would be on the phone to the manufacturer wanting to know what is wrong with it. The techs that field these calls are very good. I doubt very much if their units are designed in such a way that they soot the pans. You can get the number from the dealer that sold you the stove or from any service company. If they do not take care of the problem, tell them to come get their stove and you want your money back plus any other expenses. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Good luck and let us know what you find is the problem.

Bill, this question was asked and answered in the current edition of "Fine Cooking" (airport reading). If I recall, it was either soot from an improperly jetted range and/or debris from the cooktop that was burning and landing on the pan. Sorry I don't remember much of the detail. I do recall that they recommended cleaning as you see the deposits otherwise they get cooked on pretty badly [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Glad to hear you got your Btu problem fixed. Propane stoves should boil water just fine.

Egon: gas heating applinaces rate the same units at lower Btu for propane than natural gas. Not a lot but clearly lower.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

I was referring to BTU content of propane versus natural gas. Not the appliance in question. That is handled by orfice sizes.

Not all C3 and natural gas are refined to the same standards so BTU variance can occure. This is exspecially true for natural gas. In many areas one pays for the BTU content when buying natural gas.

Egon