Thread: air compressor

air compressor

I'M IN THE MARKET FOR A COMPRESSOR. I WILL BE USING IT FOR GENERAL STUFF. I DON'T PLAN TO PAINT A CAR, BUT WHO KNOWS. I WILL BE USING MAINLEY FOR PUMPING UP TIRES, BLOWING OFF THE RADIATOR ON MY TRACTOR. I DON'T WANT A COMPRESSOR THAT OPERATES ON 220. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT BRAND TO BUY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?.

Re: air compressor

HI Jerry we use some speed air portables at work they are good but i like the quincy best thats what i have at home. it's a five horse power plugs into 120/110 volt outlet. I use it for tires and some hand tools Check out grainger for the speed air
    EDT

Hello Jerry. After renting a similar unit for a few weeks, I bought an Emglo portable from one of the warehouse stores. It's powerful enough for a framing nailer and other small tasks. At 53 lbs, some might question calling it a portable. The are other discussions on compressors you may want to check out. Also see TractorByNet for archived information.

I've got a little Emglo (now Dewalt) and a big Quincy. both have been good units.

Gary

What is the advantage of air compressors that have twin tanks?

<font color="blue"> What is the advantage of air compressors that have twin tanks? </font color>

Portability,

The most efficient shape (strenght to wieght) for a storage tank is a sphere. Second is a cylinder. To keep the think low profile they use two cylinders.
    Hazmat

Your needs sound similar to mine. I was looking for a compressor for occaisional use around the farm and vehicles, without breaking the bank. The best deals that I found were on ebay. Know what you're looking for and take your time.

And don't be fooled by HP numbers. Although indirectly related.... you really don't care how many HP the compressor has. What you care about is how much air it can deliver at pressure. I bought one that will deliver 4.6 CFM @ 90psi. That will meet my needs.

Make sure that you size the compressor so that is giving the CFM you need to operate the most demanding tool that you expect to use ... don't under size and don't get to close to the upper limits of the compressor or you will reduce it's life by constantly running ... You will want to use air tools and many of the smaller capacity compressors just cannot do well nor last long ... a good place to look and to deal with is www.tiptools.com as they have several manufacturers and remember .... you get what you pay for ...