Thread: Chevy/GMC truck wheel bolt patterns

Chevy/GMC truck wheel bolt patterns

I have an 89 Chevy 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive pickup and the wheels have a 5 on 5" lug pattern. I also have an 89 Chevy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive Suburban and the wheels are a 6 lug pattern, I have never measured the distance. Is the wheel lug pattern on the new Chevy/GMC pickups, say mid 90's, either 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive the same as either one of my vehicles?

Re: Chevy/GMC truck wheel bolt patterns

Through '99 they would all be the same as yours being 2wd the same as yours and 4wd being the same as yours. Now with the Silverado all are 6 lug, but I've never measured/tried to see if my '99 Silverado is the same as what the '97 K1500 I had was.

I measured the 89 Chevy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive Suburban and the wheels are a 6 on 5 1/2" lug pattern. I found a reference on the web from "Off Road" magazine and it said the 15" wheels, like I have on my Suburban, won't clear the brake calipers on the new trucks, which have 16" wheels. But, it appears I could go the other way, ie I could use the 16" wheels on my Suburban.

This is timely. I am looking for a used pair of wheels for my '99 Silverado so I can install snow tires. Having a real hard time finding them at the local junk yards. I just found the same thing out, the calipers rub the inside of the older 16" wheels. Junkyard say when they get some, they're hot commodities. $60 dollars and up for used steel wheels. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Guess I'll just put the snows on my existing wheels and hold out hope for next year. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've given up on "used auto parts" places (junk yards). They want too much for their old used no warranty stuff. The first owner of my pickup took out the electronic gadget that beeps if you don't put your seat belt on. It also controled the beeper for when you leave your lights on, so I wanted to replace it. I checked the dealer on a price and then checked a couple of junk yards. One wanted 75% of the price of a new one and another wanted more than a new one!

I have driven a few Chevy's, and never understood that. I can't imagine the 6-lug gives a 1/2 ton that much stronger wheel attachment.

Ford, Dodge, Jeep, and others went with a more standard 5 on 5-1/2 pattern for years and years and years. Why Chevy did two "odd" sizes compared to the rest does not make sense. Seems expensive too, for the factory to have supported two production platforms.