Thread: Portable shelter?

Portable shelter?

I'm going to buy a portable shelter to keep my tractor out of the weather. I'm considering the 12'+20'+8' heavy duty deluxe model from www.sheltersofamerica.com or one from "cover-it". Does anyone have any experience with one of these shelters or the two manufacturers? Does anyone see the advantages or disadvantages between the house or round style? I think I want to go with the one from Shelters of America. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    winchman

Re: Portable shelter?

I could just about write a book on this subject, even though I don't own one! I have been contemplating what to get for over a year now. I've almost picked up the phone and ordered a Cover-It a couple times now, but keep changing my mind as to whether to get a Cover-It type or a metal carport. Some pros and cons of each were discussed in the thread moving a metal carport.

There are 3 reasons I haven't bought a Cover-It type shelter. One is the height. The overall height of the 12'Wx8'Hx20'L is 8', but the door height is only 6'. That means I'd have to fold the roll bar down to get the tractor in. I have to do that now to get the tractor in my garage and I don't like it. Two is that the fabric is only warranted for 10 years and I don't want to be replacing it in 10 years. Three is that the prices are decent for a 12'Wx8'Hx20'L shelter, but I'd like something wider and taller, and prices skyrocket beyond the 12'Wx8'Hx20'L size. I would say the house or peak style has more room inside compared to the round style, but I think the round style will hold more weight (snow). Cover-It has the 12'Wx8'Hx20'L for $400 right now in either house or round style. By the time you add anchors ($5 each), a roll up kit for the door, and shipping ($85) it came to about $515. Clearspan was a little more at around $550. I'm going by memory from the last time I called, so I could be a little off. I looked at the link you provided for the Shelters of America brand and they appear to be pretty much the same, including price.

I finally decided that a metal carport would be better for me. I'm planning to build a pole barn someday to park both my tractor and pickup in, and then move whatever shelter I get and use it as a place to store implements. I can get a lot more implements under a 18'Wx9'Hx26'L metal carport (which I can get for $850 installed plus tax) than I can in a 12'Wx8'Hx20'L fabric shelter and the metal one should last the rest of my life. The height of the metal carport is well over 8', so I can leave my roll bar up when I go in and out with the tractor. And, I can always add sides later if I want. I haven't actually bought anything yet because I'm still trying to decide on which brand.

Mosey,

I've seen those metal carports in my area also, but can't get past the fact that the ends are open and that they are not totally enclosed. In my part of the country I have seen it rain and snow almost horizontally. I would be afraid of the wind blowing the snow and rain in with a metal carport. I'm going to buy the 12' by 20' by 8' heavy duty deluxe model from shelters of america.

Thanks for the reply,
    winchman

I can certainly see why you would choose the fully enclosed shelter. We're lucky in that we really don't get a lot of wind here due to the layout of the land and the location of lots of big trees. I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

Winchman - I have a 20 x 24 Cover-it. It was used only one season.....then I moved and was able to build a permanent structure. It is available if you or anyone else is interested. I was very happy with it's performance.

i am interested in their product too. What kind of foundation are you going to use ?
    Do oyu think a 4-8 inch gravel and QP base will work ?

Worksmart - I sent you a PM

Bill

Why not buy a 12' x 20' x 10'? Then your door would be 8'. You can check Shelters of New England website. I think they are about $499 plus factory direct shipping.